Daft question (probably)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LocalOak

Established Member
Reaction score
Thinking of getting the Lidl hot glue gun for my wife for crafty stuff (that's making things, not slyly glueing someone's valuables to something they don't want them glued to) and just wondered if there were any uses for a hot melt glue gun in the wood workshop.

But probably not :oops:

Toby

The only daft bit of the question is the title ;)

Lots of people seem to use them, they are good for temp glueing as, when set, can be warmed up and de-stuck.

I wouldn't rely on it for furniture making as such tho ;)

Yes very good for glueing quick jigs. It goes off pretty quickly so not so good for long lengths. My wife made up fridge magnets with it. They make different glues for different applications as well.

i use them all the time,

If i was scribing a work top into an a difficult space i would make the template out of small 20x5 (whatever scrap) and place each section together, lift it off and then i have the perfect template. I also use it in the same way for making wooden stair treads for concrete stairs. works a charm!

Hope it helps,

I have a gas one and it is a BRILLIANT piece of kit...

Not for conventional woodwork I agree but I recently used clear hot glue to hold insulated panels up until the grab stuff dried past the "sag and fall down" stage.

I have some "white" sticks somewhere...supposedly wood glue. Can't see that working though....I might be wrong!

Jim

+1 for smudgers point.

My dad managed to glue my fingers together with one when I was young. To be fair I did stick my fingers right under the glue just as he pulled the trigger. :roll:

Lots of blisters and crying later my fingers came apart again.

I remind him of that every now and then :wink:

I've had my glue gun for about five-years and used it for the first time over the weekend - to seal the large cardboard box together containing the 12in. mitre saw I've just sold. Because of the saw's size and weight, I wasn't sure tape alone would be strong enough. :wink:

In his routing DVDs, Jeremy Broun demonstrates it's use for temporarily holding small items to larger boards for safer routing.

Thanks Jim, but I think the Lidl one is rechargeable and can be used on batteries. And the only reason I'm considering it is because it's so cheap :lol:

I'll report back if I get it.

I have an Aldi one - probably the same as the Lidl - and use it to immobilise rough boards onto MDF/Ply for flattening them with the router or thicknesser and making quick jigs.

I think they're great and for using it in the workshop and electric one suits me fine.

I thing HGGs are essential for that temp fitting...in some cases it's not so temporary if you use enough glue. Moreover it's one of the only methods I know to stick certain plastics (polythene) together...not perfick it has to be said, but good enough.
When I was teaching, we used to use it a lot and a major elfn'saftey demo to the kids was showing them how hot the glue was when fully heated...about the temp of boiling water. Care required :wink:
Bearing in mind Wizer's current input on another thread, I hope he hasn't got one :lol: - Rob

I remind him of that every now and then

You sound like my son. He can remember every mistake I've made since he was born! :lol:

Roy.

Back