Cutting tenon on handrail

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fillerz1098

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm installing handrails and balustrades soon and have to cut the tenons onto the handrail. Does anyone know the best way to go about this, any tips and help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

I usually set the trench stop up on the chop saw and do a series of cuts to forms the cheeks. If you set a stop for the handrail to butt upto you should get nice square shoulders ;)

It depends upon where they are going. A bit more info would help to give ideas. Possibly loose tenons may be an option. Best wishes.

If you want to do it the absolute traditional way then the handrail should also be housed into the newel as this

This is because the bulk of timber the newel is made of is likely to produce movement, this has a tendency to open the shoulders of the handrail tenon producing an unsightly gap, yes its fiddly and the use of numerous gouges etc but if done correctly is well worth the effort.

And to prove I practice what I preach (including the multi use newel post as practiced by SWMBO)

Very smart looking katellwood. You should be pleased with that. Looks like a lot of work though. Perhaps not necessary as you have sunk them in, but do you pull them in tight with a dowel/pin?. Best wishes.

yes all joints pulled up with draw dowels including the strings, Its a nice feeling tapping home the dowel and watching the shoulders on the strings pull up tight to the newel

On the above example to hide dowel endgrain I further pelleted the ends of the dowels by redrilling to 1/2" and fitting pellets

Back