Cutting boards and "breadboard ends"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TobyB

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone advise me?

Looking to make a couple of largish cutting boards for the kitchen ... approximately 30 x 50 cms ... not small cheese boards.

I know end-grain has its proponents, but to make it light enough to lift easily I'm thinking of something 15-25 mm thick made of parallel boards of contrasting wood glued and clamped together, planed/sanded smooth and use a router to add a rolled lip edge and finger grooves in the side so it can be picked up easily.

One design I have toyed with is to set the main board in a frame of the same or different wood with mitred corners - perhaps with a hidden biscuit or a decorative spline to strengthen them.

But reading around (on these forums amongst others) I have come across discussions of the benefits and problems with "breadboard ends" for tables. From the name - is this a traditional way of finishing the ends of such a cutting board? I've only found it discussed with regards to furniture. Is it a good way of finishing a cutting board ... perhaps minimising the potential of warping in the future? "Better" than the mitres - or just different visually? If I did go for that design, should I glue it all, or only glue the centre section as is suggested by some of the cabinet-making advice?

Toby, a few years ago I bought some plain wood chopping boards from sainsburys. The largest is 400 x300mm and 18mm thick. It is just edge jointed 50mm wide boards (looks like beech) and it hasnt warped despite being in the dishwasher a number of times.
So in my experience at least there is no need for breadboard ends other than as a feature.

Dave

Morning,
This months "Woodworking- Plans & Projects" has a complete article on Kitchen boards by Peter Brett.

Koolwabbit

Back