Curved top gate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangermouse2020

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i have another gate question for you :lol:

After looking around on google images for ideas on what colour to finish my gate i have noticed that i quite like the look of curved top gates, but im not exactly sure what the best construction method to use is.

The gate im making is a framed ledge and brace gate, with a T&G panel grooved into both the stiles and top rail, and then the panel resting on the mid rail and bottom rail.

Since the frame is made from 4x2", i thought for the top rail i would get a piece of say 8x2" and with my router machine a curve on both edges of the top rail, with a rise of say 3". Does that sound about right?

Then how do i construct the gate with regards to fixing the the gate's top hinge etc?

Obviously i could machine the curve on the top edge of the top rail only and leave the bottom edge of the top rail straight, then i would be able to use normal hook and band hinges and it wouldnt look odd. The problem is i want the bottom edge of the top rail curved as well.

Another option i have thought of is to have the top rail curved on both its top and bottom edge, and then have another straight rail (the same thickness as mid and bottom rail) directly below the curved top rail, which the hinge could fix to.

Another option could be to use the curved hinges designed for this very purpose, but im concerned that with curved hinges it could look odd and out of proportion if the curve of the rail and the curve of the hinge are at different gradients etc.

So whats the best way to construct ledge and brace frames if you want to have a curved top? How do you guys go about it? And what would you recommend is best?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sorry i also forgot to mention i have seen another possible option on google images that i like the look of but i dont know how to go about it.

It is to have the top rail curved, with both the top edge and bottom edge of the top rail curved, and then have a straight rail directly below the curved rail, except the straight rail only goes about half way across the width of the gate and then the top hinge is fixed to it. I do like the look of it and its probally my preferred choice tbh, but im not sure if it would be strong enough and how to construct it. Would it just be a M&T joint which is then drawbored as normal? Would that be strong enough and not break off?

Cheers

Don't cut the bottom curve full depth, just go in deep enough to form the rebate for the boards so from the rear you have a suitable surface for the hinges, like this one

IMAG0325_zpsb0702d29.jpg

The top rail could be made from two thicknesses, the front the same as your boards and curved top & bottom and the rear the rest of teh door thickness but only curved at the top. Its easier if the boards run full height but does make the endgrain more suseptable to the elements.

IMAG0324_zps39372094.jpg

J

PS And yes I did also get the job to go back and make a new frame a well

Hi Jason, i just wanted to let you know i havent ignored your post but i have been working away for a few weeks and couldnt get online to reply.

Thanks that is exactly what i was looking for, one question i do have though is how do you machine the dado into the rail to house the cladding/panel? Do you use a undercutting bit on your router or something similar?

Back