Crown recess tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cally60

Established Member
Reaction score
I got one of these in the Basingstoke Axi closing down sale.
It does the job well, but I’m uncertain about how to sharpen it. Would be grateful for any guidence

Is it for making a dovetail shaped recess for chuck jaws ? If so then just use a diamond card on the top surface.

It’s for making a recess inside a pepper mill for a crush grind mechanism to click into

It’s for making a recess inside a pepper mill for a crush grind mechanism to click into
I'm not familiar with it, a picture or link would help.

If it's a case of needing to preserve the specific shape or dimensions of the tool though, similar to the dovetail scraper, then again light honing of the top surface of the tool may be the best approach.

It’s basically the same, a scraper. I once made a salt and pepper set but I think I used a small skew to make the inset. To sharpen a scraper one would normally touch the face to a wheel very lightly and look for the sparks from the top of the scraper. Leave the burr on to do the scraping. All chisels and scrapers only need a light touch unless you want the chisel to only last a few weeks!
regards,
Dave

I'm not familiar with it, a picture or link would help.

If it's a case of needing to preserve the specific shape or dimensions of the tool though, similar to the dovetail scraper, then again light honing of the top surface of the tool may be the best approach.
Here’s a some photos- ignore the blue tape, it’s for getting the depth right.

The cutting edge is on the left. Light honing on the top surface sounds like the right answer

Attachments

• IMG_1753.jpeg
    IMG_1753.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1754.jpeg
    IMG_1754.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
It’s basically the same, a scraper. I once made a salt and pepper set but I think I used a small skew to make the inset. To sharpen a scraper one would normally touch the face to a wheel very lightly and look for the sparks from the top of the scraper. Leave the burr on to do the scraping. All chisels and scrapers only need a light touch unless you want the chisel to only last a few weeks!
regards,
Dave
Thanks, that makes sense. Bearing in mind it is only for one purpose, I want it to last a lifetime

Back