Could I get into woodworking at age 38?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope 38 is not too old as I am 40+ and hoping to do a part time c&g this year. Its been a hobby for about a year and I'd like to do more and improve :)

Oddly enough I was 38 when I started doing it "properly" following on from a C&G carpentry and joinery course (TOPS for those that can remember them). I'd been doing a lot of craft/design/building work before so wasn't quite a beginner.
That was 31 years ago. Never ran out of work, managed to earn a living. Didn't get filthy rich. Still having a go.

Jacob":19mpz8kh said:
Oddly enough I was 38 when I started doing it "properly" following on from a C&G carpentry and joinery course (TOPS for those that can remember them). I'd been doing a lot of craft/design/building work before so wasn't quite a beginner.
That was 31 years ago. Never ran out of work, managed to earn a living. Didn't get filthy rich. Still having a go.

That's encouraging... :)

I'm 39 and am only beginning woodworking too.

There's lots of great advice on here, almost too much! It can be a bit frustrating starting off. I've accumulated plenty of tools but am still at square one. Its hard to get time with a young family but I'm in it for the long run. I'm going to go along to a local woodturning group for advice on sharpening. You can read all you like but there's nothing better than being shown how.
I've also bought Paul Sellers book and am going to start with very simple stuff like making spoons and cutting boards.

Good luck.

At 37 I'm the whippersnapper of the group then!! I'm just starting out having gotten involved in the refurb of our flat. I'm now thinking about boxes and small items of furniture for my wife and I to use and hopefully if they get good enough, to give as gifts.

Glad I stumbled upon this forum though...lots of good people to get advice from and some pretty neat projects to watch too!!

Just remember to enjoy it! I spent around two hours talking to a chap in the local handtool shop the other day as I asked about chisels...it was a real pleasure to chat about tools with someone who had a passion for and obviously enjoyed their job and made things as a hobby.

So far I've mastered the love of real ale over a number of years :eek:ccasion5: but still need to work on the beard...seems de riguer

Cheers

Michael

Andy,

When you are 75, and still enjoying woodwork, you'll finally know the answer... :D But you won't find out how it feels until you've done it. I reckon you can work out my advice from that.

Best of luck

John

Jacob":6ktd893p said:

That's quite surprised me Jacob. For some reason my mental picture of you had you starting as an apprentice at 16 in a traditional environment. You know a "proper" old style apprenticeship where you had to do all the grotty jobs before you had "earned the right" to do something interesting after which you work your way up until reaching guru status. My first job as a summer student was putting the heads on dolls in the Ideal Toy factory :)

Random Orbital Bob":33d32oh3 said:
Jacob":33d32oh3 said:

That's quite surprised me Jacob. For some reason my mental picture of you had you starting as an apprentice at 16 in a traditional environment. You know a "proper" old style apprenticeship where you had to do all the grotty jobs before you had "earned the right" to do something interesting after which you work your way up until reaching guru status. My first job as a summer student was putting the heads on dolls in the Ideal Toy factory :)
No I was a late starter but I was taught in a very traditional way for which I have been extremely grateful ever since. Hated it at the time - the place was run very strictly like an open prison!. I did it at school as well and that was very traditional (ditto prison ethos). Did lots of other things, building, craft work including being a toy maker (there's a coincidence!) before setting up a woodwork shop.

Random Orbital Bob":hqyexkta said:
That's quite surprised me Jacob. For some reason my mental picture of you had you starting as an apprentice at 16 in a traditional environment. You know a "proper" old style apprenticeship where you had to do all the grotty jobs before you had "earned the right" to do something interesting after which you work your way up until reaching guru status.

Jacob likes to give that impression, of being a time-served master joiner from the "old days".

But he learnt his "traditional" joinery at college to the strains of Duran Duran!

BugBear

Andy, I'm 54, got back into woodworking probably about 8 years ago, I've only just started to make things in hardwood in the last few years.

Forced retirement means I have a lot of time on my hands, but because of a back problem I don't do anymore than a couple of hours per day in the 'workshop' (read that as attached garage), the only thing I would change about my life would be...........getting seriously interested in woodworking much sooner than I did. As has already been said, there are a lot of very experienced woodworkers on this site, they are all willing to give free and helpful advice.
If you don't take up woodworking you will always have that thought, what if?

If you try it and it's really not for you, you could always sell your tools on UKWorkshop!

Baldhead

Baldhead":1ai7wvxw said:
Andy, I'm 54, got back into woodworking probably about 8 years ago, I've only just started to make things in hardwood in the last few years.

Forced retirement means I have a lot of time on my hands, but because of a back problem I don't do anymore than a couple of hours per day in the 'workshop' (read that as attached garage), the only thing I would change about my life would be...........getting seriously interested in woodworking much sooner than I did. As has already been said, there are a lot of very experienced woodworkers on this site, they are all willing to give free and helpful advice.
If you don't take up woodworking you will always have that thought, what if?

If you try it and it's really not for you, you could always sell your tools on UKWorkshop!

Baldhead

We chart similar courses I think BH. except the one thing I would have changed is:

I would have gone back to the rope store on my first ship, and nicked a longer piece of rope for my hammock clews, instead of just accepting the 'Buffer's, 'Some new rope lad! What d'you think this? Your Daddies Yacht?'
Hence my bad back!
:evil: :evil: :evil:

Back