Cooling the Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davegw

Established Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else sitting indoors at the moment wishing there was a way of cooling the workshop.

I can't go in mine at the moment, it would be just too hot, and I'm sure sweat ruins the finish!

My shed, sorry workshop, has been up to 28 degrees this week, which makes using hand tools a bit sweaty. My wife suggested a fan...

I'm having the same problem... :( Mine is un-insulated and the asbestos roof feels more like a radiator at times! Is your shop insulated at all? I reckon that would make a difference, even if you only did the roof at some point.

Smudger":y0ruycgf said:
My wife suggested a fan...

Tried that - only once :lol: :lol:

Not to be recommended in a dusty workshop :lol:

Seriously, I'm not sure there's an easy answer. I tend to keep the door shut on hot days. I think that stops the heat coming in, if I leave the door open it gets really hot in there.

regards

Brian

i'm having this problem too, my workshop is at the back of an extra long garage, the garage is one of those pre fabricated concrete wall jobbies with an asbestox lux corrugated type roof. when i started using it for turning i put 2x2 battens verticaly on the walls and then some normal roof insulation followed by some 1/2" insulation board, i did the same on the ceiling. Now this has had a good side and a bad side- the good side is that yes it is cooler in the summer and a 2' tube heater is all thats required to keep it frost free in the winter. the down side is that any heat prodouced inside the workshop stays there, my lathe lights etc all get warm, so i have started to use an input fan at floor level for fresh air and a shower type extrator fan to take the warm air out at the highest point..... but its still not enough so i'm now looking at installing a larger capacity extractor fan but they seem to rise steeply in price as soon as you go above 4"

I worked for a air conditioning expert recently and he kindly came to have a look at my situation his advice was to keep the air moving and that air conditioning such a dusty enviroment would be a waste of money.

sometimes it helps to hose down the outside of the building / shed. this cools it down and continues as the water evaporates. Doesnt take long to warm back up again in this sun tho - if all else fails , I put on a wet t shirt (interesting for the lady members) which keeps me cool for a good while.

a new freind from this site suggested a secondary roof, giving a 2" air gap between the existing roof and new roof? would this help and if so how would you attach one to the other?

heres my garage

P1010205.jpg

and the partion showing the thickness of insulation i added.

P1010209.jpg

P1010210.jpg

input fan
P1010219.jpg

4" extractor fan
P1010216.jpg

My shop is fully insulated and it gets very :shock: warm in the afternoon. The best way I've found to reduce the temperature is to open one of the windows at the far end as well as the door so I have a pleasant through draft which brings the heat down to tolerable levels after a while - Rob

I have to say that my shop is cooler than it is outside. It is fully insulated and double glazed and until I start up my machines it is pretty cool. Unfortunitley I have been working in the garden this week doing some long overdue gardening and am melting in the heat outside. I keep popping into the workshop to cool down a bit. :wink:

I use a fan in mine - makes a surprising difference in the heat!
A quick run round with a vacuum soon gets rid of any dubious piles of sawdust that have accumulated. You know it makes sense :wink:
Philly :D

My workshop read 32 on the thermometer on thursday, I bought an 18inch floor standing air mover, Gives a nice breeze but still TBH!!

My workshop is an old cobblers workshop at the bottom of the garden, single thinkness brick, with, what I assume is a later addition of a, corrugated asbestos roof (like tge one in cornucopia's picture)

It has two windows - that don't open, and a door (kind of obvious that one).

I think the fan Idea is the only one that has any legs for me - oh well - off to freecycle it is :)

Thanks folks

Build the fan into the wall ( high up - hot air rises & all that) to blow out - then you have a fine dust extractor too.

Whatever the solution - I'll guarantee one thing........ once your cooling system is up & working, it will start raining again :roll:

I'm feeling one lucky pipper!

For some reason my shop is lovely and cool, even when it is nudging 80 outside.

Might have something to do with it having been a chapel of rest in days gone by!

I took the afternoon off today though to dig up potatoes at my allotment. Now that was thirsty work!

:eek:ccasion5:

Cheers
Dan

Today was the first day I have had to stop working because of the heat. MDF dust and sweat don't mix...yuck :roll:

Back