Cookery Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still chuckling at the Felder Zester Mk1. Definitely need one of those on my Christmas list. Completely agree about the gadgets

FWIW, in my experience, the Lardons can be strips, it's just fatty bacon. you can brown it but it's 'job' is to render down in the slow cooker adding 'unctuousness' salt, and lip smacking richness. I'm intrigued how this Daube turned out, Im sure it will have been delicious!

Cheers

Stephen

That's brilliant Custard.

I can vouch for the gadgetry involved with cooking as my other half has more gadgets for her cooking than i do for my woodwork. The drawer runners have worn out from all the weight they are under and i am going to have to replace them with sturdier ones. I never knew keeping vegetables in a drawer was a thing and didn't design for it.

Something else has just occured to me. My Brother in Law used to bring full cakes to work still in their packets and would slice them with the blade of his bevel.

custard":ng7m8x6q said:
I think it's all under control now,

I think your clamping arrangement could be better have a look at the Ball-O-Mattic 2000

:wink:

Pete

AJB Temple":1wl0qggz said:
How did the daube turn out? We need to know.

Meh.

Given the black olives, wine, and the bouquet garni of home grown herbs wrapped in a cute muslin bag I was a bit underwhelmed. Not bad, just a little bland.

I tell you what is amazing though, Pete Maddox makes a jam with ginger in it that is fabulous. I may do a WIP of how to prepare a Waitrose toasted fruit bun with Pete's nectar on it!

It's the black olives- truly disgusting things. If you want a dish containing orange zest that is yummy, try Nigellas' Spanish chicken and chorizo with potatoes. I love it.

Swmbo's daughter makes a jam with ginger and i agree, it's lovely.

custard":3jrogyqk said:
AJB Temple":3jrogyqk said:
How did the daube turn out? We need to know.

Meh.

Given the black olives, wine, and the bouquet garni of home grown herbs wrapped in a cute muslin bag I was a bit underwhelmed. Not bad, just a little bland.

I tell you what is amazing though, Pete Maddox makes a jam with ginger in it that is fabulous. I may do a WIP of how to prepare a Waitrose toasted fruit bun with Pete's nectar on it!

Just an idea Custard. If you try it again I'd add shallots and lots of garlic. These will add to the richness and bring out the flavour of the beef. Oh, and we are all scared of salt these days, so things do tend to be a lttle under-seasoned. Add a little more!

HTH,

Andrew

Woody2Shoes":k4poncrt said:
I think the best tool for making long stringy bits of zest (besides the above options!) is the "Citrus Bar Zester" - and Google brings up lots like this one:

http://www.barequipmentdirect.co.uk/cit ... -876-p.asp

Cheers, W2S

In my experience, the canale cutter tends to dig in deeper than just the zest, as it is intended to make a pattern on the remaining fruit as much as for cutting strips.

I use one of these. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Ste ... 1861212787

galleywood":11il1tlk said:
Re question 1.

I would say that you should carefully cut thin slithers (about 1mm deep) of the outer skin, without cutting into the pith below, and then slicing them into thin strips approx 2mm wide.

Re question 2.

I would agree that the lardons should be browned before but have no experience of using lardons in a slow cooker.
I always put the vegetables on the bottom - as recommended in several recipes.

I agree with galleywood, but in honour of my sadly departe, yet pedantic Mum, I have to correct your English;
'slithers' should be 'slivvers'
'Slither' is what a snake does.

In fairness to your good self, it is a VERY common mistake, (especially as we are always being told to pronounce things 'th' not 'v'.

Sorry, pedant gene lives on....

gregmcateer":pvzun8ph said:
galleywood":pvzun8ph said:
Re question 1.

I would say that you should carefully cut thin slithers (about 1mm deep) of the outer skin, without cutting into the pith below, and then slicing them into thin strips approx 2mm wide.

Re question 2.

I would agree that the lardons should be browned before but have no experience of using lardons in a slow cooker.
I always put the vegetables on the bottom - as recommended in several recipes.

I agree with galleywood, but in honour of my sadly departe, yet pedantic Mum, I have to correct your English;
'slithers' should be 'slivvers'
'Slither' is what a snake does.

In fairness to your good self, it is a VERY common mistake, (especially as we are always being told to pronounce things 'th' not 'v'.

Sorry, pedant gene lives on....

I am the real pedant. It should be slivers not slivvers. Slivver is a Scottish word meaning slobber. (hammer)

Back