Computer Service Concerns

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Updates to Apple software are free. And I take Pete's point re security of Macs but as long as hackers target Windows machines rather than Macs that makes them more secure.

The disc isn't your license, the license sticker is. It should be stuck to your PC case. If it wasn't attached or it's a retail license and that has been lost then yes, Windows needs replacing.

Windows 7 is still supported but be aware that it's likely to go End of Life in 3 years or so based on current Microsoft timetables. I'm a strong proponent of Windows 10, I'm not sure where your perception of constant charges comes from? Bear in mind that any change to Apple means you may need to repurchase a lot of software and commit to their "ecosystem". Ref discussions on security, it's a massive red herring. Whilst more viruses may exist for Windows, whether you are on a PC or a Mac they will rely on you making a mistake. Keep a sensible head on your shoulders, up to date protection, and you have nothing to fear.

Anyways, back to your original post. If the company has lost your drive then they are in breach of UK Data Protection Act and you can take action if you wish to do so. Encrypting drives is always advisable unless it has zero sensitivity. Changing all your passwords is the best you can do at this stage, and consider if you had any documents stored on there with sensitive information.

He will probably struggle to get a new copy of Windows 7 Ultimate so I suspect you'll be looking at a 2nd hand retail copy which can be transferred between machines. Insist on a copy of the boxed copy he uses to install it so you can check it's genuine and has a license (beware of photocopies!).

Marineboy":2e2258ai said:
Updates to Apple software are free. And I take Pete's point re security of Macs but as long as hackers target Windows machines rather than Macs that makes them more secure.

Macs are not as unsecure as windows is more accurate.

Pete

Just for clarification about the Windows 7 disc, it is not the missing disc that is the problem or a missing COA (Certificate of Authenticity) label, although I would not be too happy to receive a home burned replacement for a genuine Microsoft hologrammed disc, but the product key (serial number) especially as it for the enterprise version. It gives the installer a lot more leeway than even the professional version.
Microsoft allows you to beg, borrow, copy the installation disc or download an ISO file but it is the product key that provides the authentication.

For whatever back up plan that can be devised there is an alternative scenario to defeat it.

For a number of years I partitioned the hard drive so that Windows was separated from documents, media & additional programmes. If Windows failed it was easy to reinstall without losing anything & most programmes still worked but a few needed reinstalling.
It was common to wipe Windows XP & reinstall once or twice a year.
Now that SSD drives are relatively cheap & can be run from a PCIe slot there is little need to partition a drive.
Macrium Reflect is a good free programme to clone or image a hard drive. There are lots of others.
I now copy anything I want to keep to a separate hard drive then back up any new or changed files once a week.

Marineboy":1jqtjpa8 said:

I have run Macs in my business for years but have never been comfortable with the "Macs dont need virus protection " line. However, Norton Security runs silently and unobtrusively in the background and stops unauthorised access via the internet (in and out) and also strips out infected attachments received in emails.

I have a partition on my laptop which runs Windows (for Corel Draw) and every time I use it I realise that Bill Gates must be a marketing genius for getting so many people to buy such an awful piece of software (Windows not Corel) , it is horrible, unstable and not user friendly.

We run a lot of PCs in my business (necessary for business to business connectivity to use MS software) and also several Macs. There used, years ago to be significant differences between PC and Mac but certainly since OSX and the arrival of things like unix and office 365 the differences have largely disappeared. In these days of constant phishing, malware, spam and regular hack attacks, high security, whatever the platform is essential. Firewalls, encryption, sophisticated cybersecurity tools (expensive!), key logger detection, dual authentication methods, staff awareness and training are all necessary and routine tools in the armoury now. Personally I take the view that sticking with old operating systems reduces not enhances security and on-line safety. Windows 7 is already pretty old now - sticking with it just makes the eventual need to "upgrade" (term used with tongue somewhat in cheek) a more challenging and bigger step. I feel much the same about Apple - the upgrades are necessary to stay safe but they benefit Apple (global mobile platform operator, manufacturer and virtual bank that it is) more than the typical consumer.

It is a sad fact of life that we need all this security. I doubt that there are many people now who don't know someone who has suffered fraud or ID theft.

Personally I would not let someone walk off with my backups. Especially the device holding my only one. We can all learn lessons from this illuminating thread.

Back