computer question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big soft moose

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

does anyone have a windows XP or windows 2000 disc (and licence) kicking about that they no longer need ?

If so i'd be happy to exchange it for a few beer vouchers.

Basically swimbos old computer has decided it doesnt like running vista (big suprise there) and although she has bought a new Dell running 7 we would like to resurect the old one as an xp/2000 machine

Before people start telling me that linux and open office would be a better bet, I'm aware of that route, but the reason we specifically want XP or 2000 is that swimbo has some old game discs (The myst series) that she would like to play again, and these require 2000 minimum.

Cheers Moose (and mrs moose)

I'll have a look, I think I do but I may have given it away..

One point with the linux route.. you could try wine which provides an API layer for windows programs.

No guarantee it will work but you have nothing to lose by giving it a whirl.

Regards,

Ryan

It can be tough sometimes back dating.

Would the games run on Win7 in compatibility mode? Because if they do best putting Win7 on.

Chems":1pmiwffa said:
It can be tough sometimes back dating.

Would the games run on Win7 in compatibility mode? Because if they do best putting Win7 on.

we're going to try that on the new laptop, if they do I'm still not going to pay for a Win 7 licence for her old computer, but in that case we might put linux on it and open office and just use it as a spare for web browsing andf wandering about.

Pvt_Ryan":3r40pqp8 said:
Question.

What computers and laptops do you have and which OS are they licensed for?

We have a toshiba laptop ( swimbos old one) with 1gb ram and a 1.3gz dual core processor, licenced for vista but refusing to run it

swimbos new dell laptop (being delivered today) with 4gb ram, and 3ghz dual core , running windows 7

My desk top HP with 4GB (soon to be 8 GB) and a 3.2ghz quad core chip running windows 7

and my work laptop - a Lenovo with 2GB of ram and a 2.4ghz dual core chip running windows XP pro (but this is work's machine and I dont have admin rights so we cant load software etc)

We also have an old compaq laptop (my old one) which was a similar spec to swimbos old one but is completely dead - motherboard failure - I am contemplating taking the memory out of it and installing it on the toshiba to boost performance

hmm

If you had bought 1 retail copy you are licensed to run that copy on 1 primary device (desktop) and 1 mobile device (laptop).

I think OEM will restrict you to the device it came on only but I would strongly recommend reading the T&Cs as it may be different..

Did you not get restore Discs with them at all?

Ryan

This could well be a better solution: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/.

If you have a Win7 Pro or Ultimate you can download and install (FOC) a virtual XP machine. Myst IIRC isn't a particularly have weight game so it should run ok in a virtual environment. You can also transfer the XP virtual machine to VMWare which is somewhat faster.

Latest posts

Back