compressor help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornucopia

Established Member
Reaction score
hello folks

I am looking to buy a better suited compressor for my woodturning workshop.
I need it to run die grinders (about 8cfm)with various carving attachments and a blow gun (6-7cfm) to get the shavings out of the vaes's/hollow forms i make.

I use to have this axminister one but it was too noisy and couldn't really keep up with demand.
I now have this bambi one which is great from a noise point of view but also struggles to keep up.

so what i want is a quiet compressor (or a definite way of reducing the noise) and a compressor which will keep up with demand.

any advice please.

Die grinders and pneumatic DA's eat compressed air.When u spec the machine u need I would look for one that is at least 1 and a half times the CFM required, or more if your budget allows.

The big Bambis are big bucks. I'm afraid the bigger normal compresser, the bigger the noise. I've seen plans on FWW for making insulated boxes to deaden the sound. The only problem is they increase the footprint considerably and you're already low on space. I was going to suggest building a unit outside for it to go in. But IIRC you like your neighbours? :lol:

wizer":1s163jwt said:
The big Bambis are big bucks. I'm afraid the bigger normal compresser, the bigger the noise. I've seen plans on FWW for making insulated boxes to deaden the sound. The only problem is they increase the footprint considerably and you're already low on space. I was going to suggest building a unit outside for it to go in. But IIRC you like your neighbours? :lol:

it might not be a problem tom as i'm going to move allot of my stuff out of the front part of the garage and have a bandsaw bench and compressor in there.
where are those plans?

George

You have to be careful with the ratings on compressors as it can be a theoretical value rather than a usable cfm. A good rule of thumb for compressors is 3cfm for each motor HP. You'll also need a good size receiver. I have a 3.5 hp compressor with 200l receiver and it runs the die grinders without a problem. It's noisey but with it in a separate room not a problem.

Mark

If you can put the compressor in a separate room, then a good way to distribute the air is to use copper pipng. I did this in my workshop, and works well, simply using 22mm and 15mm piping with compression fittings.

regards,
michael

Back