Compressed Air

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter T

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a 25 litre compressor that's good for pumping up tyres and driving a brad gun but not so good for air tools like drills and grinders.

Instead of buying a new, larger capacity compressor, I thought I might but another one the same size and run them both together into same supply line to give me the extra capacity.

Anyone know if this will work or is it a stupid idea??

Thanks,

Peter,

If theory it will work but you need to look at the spec carefully.

The motor size will limit the air delivery. Typically, a 1hp motor can support approx 3 cfm free air delivery. This will probably be the sort of capability of your current unit.

Some of the commercial air tools are very hungry and consumptions of 10 cfm+ are not uncommen and therefore even two units in parallel may not keep up.

Also, you need to think about the duty cycle of what you need. If you only want to operate a unit for a short burst then an additional reciever (tank to you and me) is all you need as that storted capacity will meet the need but will of course need time to recover. A cheap way of achieveing this is to buy a broken compressor with a large tank and plumb that into your system bypassing the broken pump. If you need extended continuous operation then I think you may be into a new, much larger, compressor.

One final thought - consider the length of pipe-run. If you have the compressor remote from the workshop you need to size the interconecting feed to avoid limiting air delivery. Equally, if you have coupled several of the coiled air-lines together and only have the small diameter ones, that too can limit performance.

Best of luck.

Simon

Bear in mind that equivalent Air tools can be very noisy and most of them require an Industrial rated Compressor else you will be forever waiting for the receiver to charge, plus you'll soon wear out the motor and pump.

As Simon has pointed out the cfm is key.

Tank size is a secondary issue really

for example have a look at this site
http://www.nardicompressori.com/sector.php?cat=low&id=12

where horse power is a good indicator of cfm.

Twin cylinder/ 1400 rpm models are in general much quieter than single 2800 rpm models.

However know the noise level before u buy is crucial: its published for jennies but not air compressors which is a pita.

studders":3382xsac said:
Bear in mind that equivalent Air tools can be very noisy and most of them require an Industrial rated Compressor else you will be forever waiting for the receiver to charge, plus you'll soon wear out the motor and pump.

You''re right. I borrowed a small grinder from a friend and the noise was "unacceptable".

Oh well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.........................

Thanks for all the replies,

Looking for some thoughts on the above please.

I gather that once air is compressed it is super saturated with water vapour which means that if used in tyres untreated that the water is deposited on inside of tyre and in the case of steel rims is a rust concern.

In terms of lub and filters am unclear on the need/desirability of either.

Am looking for a quiet compressor and am told belt drive twin pistons are quieter.

Thanks

Carlow. The compressor is only a part of the set up, as you say, water can be a problem, so you purchase the necessary water trap to remove it from the line.
They can be automatic, float operated, or drained manually. Frequently the trap is followed by an automatic lubricator for use with air tools.
Belt driven compressors are usually quieter.

Roy.

Latest posts

Back