Competitiion WIP, Beginner's dining table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johncs

Established Member
Reaction score
I found the forum about 12 hours before competition entries closed, and I decided to enter, but needed a project in a hurry.

The dining table was on the todo list, but I planned on trying it maybe next year, after another term or two learning this stuff.

About the only thing I am sure I can do is make the table top!

Since entering, and agreeing with the administrators that I am a beginner, I've gone through a large stack of woodies' magazines from three continents, leaving pages open at tables, not just dining tables, but coffee tables, end tables, sofa tables, any table that looks like it might contribute ideas.

I've looked at tables with legs in their corners, I've looked at trestle tables, I thought about a three-legged table, and last night I bought a magazine with a picture of a three-legged table.

I've even visited a couple of furniture shops, "I'm going to make my own, I'm looking for ideas." I saw tables with square legs, I saw legs made of two boards butted at rightangles, and I saw legs that were just boards. I saw tables with aprons and tables without aprons.

My brief was brief and short on detail, but already needs revision. The table is to seat six, and the original size is a little short. Target length is now 1500.

I have a couple of questions from those more expert:
Assuming the table is to be 1500x800:
How thin can the top be?
Assuming four legs in corners, how thin can those be?

I understand I can make the thick, say 40 mm and up, and I saw legs that would have been maybe 40x150.

I'm thinking of a prototype of pinus radiata (partly) because I have the best part of a pallet of it in a suitable size.

The final table will be hardwood, I have a stack of 100x50 which I need to check for moisture before using. A selection might spend a month in the roof cavity of our house. Or I might have to buy something.

I'm sure to have a lot more questions :)

Welcome to the forum, John. :) My competition entry will also be a dining table and an extending one at that! :D

For your top, I wouldn't finish it less than 32mm. Unless it's a drawer-leaf extending table (I also have one of those to make... :roll:), where the outer leaves slide out from below...

If you were having square legs, I'd machine them out of 3" timber. 70mm would be a good finished size though, I wouldn't go less than 64mm for aesthetics. You may even want to consider 4" legs! :shock:

Are you familiar with Google Sketchup or any other drawing programs? Could be a good place to start and will certainly help you to try out and visualise some of these ideas for yourself... Without wasting expensive wood!! :wink:

Best of luck with it. I look forward to seeing the progress. :)

I would agree with the 32mm and upwards for a table top, that was the size I had in my mind before reading john's post.

joiner_sim":3twl2ax3 said:
I would agree with the 32mm and upwards for a table top, that was the size I had in my mind before reading john's post.

Interestingly, in researching the 'net to see what is out there, I discovered a shaker dinging table with a 20mm top
<a>This</a> isn't the same one.

I have a stack of pine, and thought I'd make a prototype from it. I'll post pics of progress RSN, but the pine is arrissed so I've trimmed it on my tablesaw, then jointed and thicknessed it to 100x19. It's still a little curved, we'll see what it's like once I've glued up the top.

I don't intend to bother filling imperfections, the purpose is to get an idea of what it might look like with various styles of legs, and to have some practice with putting it all together.

If you google "boranup gallery," you will find some very nice tables, including one priced at over $AU30,000. They have some trestle-style tables I like, and simplified a little they don't look hard to make.

johncs - I recommend you take a trip to your local furniture store. Find a few tables roughly the same size and see which have the proportions you like.

Making a mock-up is always the best way to go when you're not sure of something. I look forward to seeing how it turns out. :)

Back