Compact and affordable dust Collection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Established Member
Reaction score
HI Im looking for advice on dust collection I have a Kity table saw 1619 and Im very short of space.
Can anyone recommend a descent dust collection system that is compact, effective and affordable?
many thanks

what do you count as 'affordable'? Oneida dust deputy II and Festool CT 26 is a compact and mobile solution, but IMO is a lot of money

I don't even have room for that, so I got the tiny - but not as powerful - Festool CTL sys mobile. Since the dust collector means I rarely need access to the vac, I can tuck it out of the way under my bench.

The problem with compact is how good it is, I would say as a broad rule if you're using a compact extractor to rely on dust masks to keep your lungs etc clean and the extractor to keep your workspace a bit cleaner. You won't get good enough extraction with a small extractor to not need a mask. I say that so you're properly informed about that and can weigh up your needs based on the level of use, budget and space etc.

If space is the main consideration, then I would look at something that can be sat in whatever cabinet your saw is on, as if you can tuck it out of the way there then it's not taking up any space.

After that, there's a good thread on here somewhere about sealing up a tablesaw to get effective extraction, start there get the extraction as efficient as you can and then add the sucky bit.

I find the tablesaw is reasonably OK without extraction if you set the blade just a bit through the work piece as it tends to throw the dust down into the box where most of it drops to the floor, but MDF tends to fire fine dust everywhere regardless. That makes me wonder whether the best setup with a compact machine is to focus on extraction from the crown guard, but that's a guess? My instinct is that you won't get enough flow from the bottom to pull dust down enough to make a great difference, especially as your saw will leak more air away from the cut, but by leaving that area you'll have much more suction above the work, where it can make a bigger difference.

sorry, I should have read the OPs post more carefully - The small festool vacs are not intended to handle the dust and chips coming from a table saw, so ignore my post!

Hi yes its really for my table saw I was looking at a Record cheapie or similar and was hoping that would take the majority and move it to my bandsaw when needed.
Do you think it would keep the shop cleanish?

I have a similar one to your second axminister suggestion, apart from mine has the fine dust filter (http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-tr ... tor-508483)

I'm pretty happy with it, it's "good enough" but there's certainly dust that doesn't get caught. admittidly i've been thinking about ways to seal the inside of the saw more but haven't gotten around to doing anything about it yet.

Using it with my axminster Aw10bsb2. I did originally order a larger free standing one, but it took up just way too much room in my tiny workshop, so wall mounting was a much better option as i can store things below it.

Hope that helps.

I've got the SIP version of the Record dust extractor, £100 from Toolstation http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p28641?table=no . It has a 0.5 micron filter , its connection to various machines with 63mm pipe and blast gates from Axminster run down one side of the workshop and flexible pipe from Amazon. It seems to work well enough for a total cost of about £200.

Latest posts

Back