combination planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a combination plane for when it is not worth buying a router cutter, or setting up the router table. I envisage using it predominantly for putting beadings on small/thin pieces, a bit of rebating/grooving, possibly tongue and grooving some boards. My priority is for use on small boards- probably absolute max 3/4" thick, but more likely for use on things that are 3/8" or slightly less- trays for inside boxes etc.

What stanley or record (or others) numbers are the ones to look for? I want a user, rather than a collectors piece, so don't want to pay a premium just for rarity! I have a record 043 (brilliant), can i get alternative blades for it?

Stanley 13 050 is unfashionable and hence cheap, but works very well once you have got the hang of it.

Jacob":30124n3s said:
Stanley 13 050 is unfashionable and hence cheap, but works very well once you have got the hang of it.

This +1 :D

They work extremely well and often come available on the internet in boxed/mint condition and sold as old/un-used stock.

Prices have dived somewhat on the 405s and 45s lately - they used to fetch £100 minimum but I've seen some go for less than £50 lately. Plenty of choice so worth putting in some low bids, especially if you can save on postage with a local pickup.

i think that I might look for a 405. I am in no hurry so will bide my time.

Not sure how the record 050 compares to the stanley's but I snapped one up for 25ish at the start of the year (maybe the end of last year), plenty of bits to play with too.

AndyT":rwhgy2hj said:
Prices have dived somewhat on the 405s and 45s lately - they used to fetch £100 minimum but I've seen some go for less than £50 lately. Plenty of choice so worth putting in some low bids, especially if you can save on postage with a local pickup.

Interesting, on this side of the pond, 45's have dropped a bit, but a Sweetheart vintage, in original wood box and complete down to the screwdriver will still bring US$225-275. They used to go for a bit more.

I haven't got a combination plane as of yet but I am considering a 45 or 405.

Are they recommended for tongue and groove cutting? Would I be better off buying a match plane like a Stanley 49?

James C":iu8figxu said:
I haven't got a combination plane as of yet but I am considering a 45 or 405.

Are they recommended for tongue and groove cutting? Would I be better off buying a match plane like a Stanley 49?

A Lie Nielsen #48 or #49 would be better http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1472

They work really well and are a big improvement over the original Stanley and quite reasonably priced in my view. Here's a video of how they work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QdaRuKC ... plpp_video

Cheers :wink:

Paul

No skills":2k7h0u7a said:
Not sure how the record 050 compares to the stanley's but I snapped one up for 25ish at the start of the year (maybe the end of last year), plenty of bits to play with too.

The Record has the better (derived from Preston) depth adjuster.

BugBear

Back