Collet tool handles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodpig

Established Member
Reaction score
A guy was doing a demo at my club and was using one of these. They look quite handy but some of them are silly prices. No problem for me as I can make one easily enough but before I go to the bother are any of you folks using one or more of these handles? The newer ones tend to have foam covered handles rather than plastic hose the early ones had. Wondering which cover is best as I can see pro's and con's for both.

I have the Simon Hope ones and find them great from ease of use, comfortable to hold and weight balance points of view. The only drawback with the foam is you sometimes get bits sticking in it and they always seem to have a sharp piece on them which you quickly find when you pick the tool up again.
The short one with a single ended bowl gouge insert is great for use on the Jet Mini lathe.
Dave

Thanks Dave, getting dirt etc in the foam did occur to me. Luckily there are quite a few options to try.

I have one of the longer SH handles too, and have 2 double-ended gouges which I bought it for. Seems like a great solution. I can see myself wearing each end out first though.... :p

Decided to have a go at making one. Should cost a fraction of the bought ones, we'll see.

Back