Coffee table plans ???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Surname or what ?

Established Member
Reaction score
Swmbo wants me to make a coffee table. But she is a very picky customer :roll:

I made this for my mother a few years ago based on a design in a mag (I forget which one)

mumscoffeetable.jpg

It was quite elegant. But swmbo want a shelf on her's. :roll: :roll:

I knocked up this design to her spec - but I'm not happy with it.
angelascoffeetable.jpg

I've not really got any experience of designing my own stuff. So, does anyone have nice elegant design for a coffee table with a shelf?

thanks again
Phil

i think the base of the bottom table is quite angular and the top is rounded, whoever the top on the top table is also quite angular so how about putting the old design top on your new designed base.

Saw a nice one in F&C this month that had a display case incorporated in the top....might be useful for showing some off SWIMBO' stuff? - Rob

Got dragged to John Lewis in High Wycombe today to look at blinds.

Took some time to look at their furniture; my god it's rubbish. The materials used are often good but very cheaply put together. The upside was that SWMBO saw a Chinese made elm table. Supposedly 80 year old elm from house timbers recovered from buildings in N. China. Do I believe them ? Not sure.

Anyway the design had a shelf - requirement number 1. The legs were not square - requirement number 2. Apart from the lovely figure in the wood the top was quite plain. SMWBO would want either some shaping or an inlaid line. But hey - this is more feedback on design than I would normally get....

... so it's back to the drawing board (Sketchup). The shelf she insisted should be 4ish inches from the ground is now clearly much too low.

We progress - but slowly.

Good Surname or what ?":247wfkh6 said:
Anyway the design had a shelf - requirement number 1. The legs were not square - requirement number 2. Apart from the lovely figure in the wood the top was quite plain. SMWBO would want either some shaping or an inlaid line. But hey - this is more feedback on design than I would normally get....

Hi Phil, I just noticed your requirements there. The coffee table I made recently seems to meet those requirements. Just a thought.

Back