Coffee 'Pod' machines...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Preston":2f1gicje said:
Question: Who makes the best hammers?
Answer: Eastwing.
Job done, finished.

Not sure if I'd necessarily agree with that answer. I've had Estwing hammers in the past. They are well built but I don't like the balance, they all seem top heavy.

Currently I have a Stanley 24oz claw with fibreglass shaft, Stanley Dynagrip 32oz claw and a Kennedy 24oz claw with fibreglass shaft. The best of the lot is the Kennedy which is the oldest, must be around 15 years old now. It's much more comfortable in use than the Estwings were.

Strange that this thread should appear now as we are waiting delivery of our new filter coffee jobbie. This one http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00CDFNBH4/ref= ... 91_TE_item And we though that 400€ was up the wall, but said sod it why not!! It's a 'chuck the beans in and get the coffee out' thing and we don't have milk or sugar in it. That way we can taste the coffee 8) 8)

We have used a cheap filter machine for several years now and as we have various French friends and neighbours who pop in a single cup thing would be a waste of space. Plus, we choose organic, Fair Trade coffee and at least we know what we are drinking. I wonder what goes into those capsules?? We will be getting the organic beans too now..

I can heartily reccomend the Francis Francis X1.

francisfrancis-x1lightblue-150w.jpg

http://www.johnlewis.com/francisfrancis ... mcampid=73

We've had one of these for many years now and it is superb in every way. Great coffee using either pods (illy are very good) or fresh groung coffe just like a 'real' esspresso machine. It is a real espresso machine but nice and small for the kitchen. Built to a very high standard indeed and service parts are always availabe - well at least they have been over the 10 or so years that we can vouch for.

Steve.

Attachments

• francisfrancis-x1lightblue-150w.jpg
    francisfrancis-x1lightblue-150w.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 624
Sorry, guys, but those pod machines really put my blood pressure off the scale. Heaven knows what coffee they put into them and the resources wasted in making the pods and disposing of them is a crime. A cheapo filter machine, preferably one with a re-usable filter, a bit of care in selection and measuring of coffee beans and if you are feelig really lazy, an electric grinder is perfect for an impecunious pensioner who likes good plain coffee. Can't be a**ed with all that espresso/cappucino stuff.

And while I'm in rant mode, why has the Coop stopped selling loose leaf tea? Who wants to pay more for the taste of a dodgy cellulose fibre bag???

MMUK":3qftyqcw said:
Preston":3qftyqcw said:
Job done, finished.

Not sure if I'd necessarily agree with that answer. I've had Estwing hammers in the past. They are well built but I don't like the balance, they all seem top heavy.

A top heavy hammer..what will they think of next... :shock: :?

I used to have a Morphy Richards 'Roma' machine. Very good machine when it worked but unfortunately beset with problems. They no longer carry it but I'm pretty sure the same machine is being sold under the name of another maker. Almost certainly made in the far east.
I then picked up a Gaggia classic for not very many pennies. The serious coffee lot view Lavazza and Illy as poor versions of coffee. Then again they are the same type who get the weighing scales out and measure the force of their coffee tampers.

dickm":17lxvudj said:
S

And while I'm in rant mode, why has the Coop stopped selling loose leaf tea? Who wants to pay more for the taste of a dodgy cellulose fibre bag???

Our Coop still sells loose leaf tea - got a load today as it happens.

Steve.

owen":1wo8c2tb said:
MMUK":1wo8c2tb said:
Preston":1wo8c2tb said:
Job done, finished.

A top heavy hammer..what will they think of next... :shock: :?

I would have thought that a coffee grinder would be better than a hammer? I think a hammer would just spread the beans all over the place :? :? Mind you, I have a very old ball pein :shock: Can't remember who made it now?

The cheapest way to get good expresso coffee is to use a Mocha Pot which can be bought very cheaply for under £20.

I love coffee and my taste went from filter to the intense flavour of expresso.
After a lot of research I bought a Rancilio Silvia and a variable grinder - a good grinder is as important as the coffee machine itself in order to get consistent results. The aim is to brew 1 or 2 fluid Ozs in about 25secs (depending on the size of the portafilter).
As I make a double expresso I grind 17grms which my grinder does in 10secs, so in less than a minute you have a steaming cup of excellent coffee.

The choice of coffee beans is important as a matter of taste and the "experts" prefer freshly roasted beans that have been allowed to mature for about a week.

Rod

Q: Who made the best usable shoulder planes? A: Preston
Q: Which IBM compatible laptop should I buy? A: i3, i5, i7 depending on your pocket.
Q: which woodworking book should I buy as a beginner? A: The woodworkers pocket book by C.H. Hayward.
Simple straight forward answers.
Now, which coffee maker machine should I buy?
Answer…………….

This is my 8th cup of coffee from 5am this morning, I want to buy the coffee machine on Boxing Day sales or soon after, so I hope there will have been enough advice and recommendations to have made my mind up by then.

Attachments

• 100_7550.jpg
    100_7550.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 482
fetteler":2qrl5p70 said:
Our Coop still sells loose leaf tea - got a load today as it happens.

Steve.
Maybe it's just a north of Scotland thing, but all the ones round here have stopped selling it. But it shouldn't be that heavy to post, so maybe a line to "our friends in the South"............................

Back