Co. Durham outlet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leighf

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I’m new to the forum so be gentle. I’ve been looking at the reviews and information on this site to learn the in’s and outs of table saws. There’s some good info here but I’m still deliberating.
I have a budget of 3 to 4 hundred quid. I really like to look of the Axminster TS200 but the shop is miles away from Aycliffe, Co. Durham where I live.
I’m one of those picky blokes who likes a quality product for the money and therefore need to see it before I part with my hard earned.
So here’s my questions.

1. Are there any outlets in the north east that display a range of table saws. (I’ve tried machine mart and Alan Watkins)
2. Has anyone got a suggestion for my dilemma?

Cheers
Leigh

I don't know anywhere in the N.E. but i can reccomend D.B Keighley in Leeds- a bit of a treck from Durham and they are a bit od fashioned but have a good range of saws in stock and lots of other machinery too.

http://www.dbkeighley.co.uk/

My honest advice though would be try and pick up something second hand. There are so many companies going bust there is at least 1 auction a week selling woodworking machinery. Buying from auction always carries a risk but you would normally get a far superior machine for your money.
HTH
Matt

Thanks for the reply Matty, I'm off work next week so I might have a look down to leeds.

Where do I find an auction at, is there a site I could look at?

Leigh

Perhaps there are forum members in your area who'd be happy to show you around their workshops? :)

Hello OPJ,
Now thats a good idea!!

If there's any forum members that have a Axminster TS200 who live in the north east I'd love to here from them.

Leigh

Hi Leigh and welcome to the forum. I live in Scarborough if you would like to come and see mine, woo err missus :D I'm afraid I can't show you it in situ as I'm moving house in three weeks, but I can show you it out of the box so to speak.

Here is a pic of it in my last shed.

Bookcase012.jpg

Bookcase011.jpg

Phil

leighf":tjcs3hvj said:
Thanks for the reply Matty, I'm off work next week so I might have a look down to leeds.

Where do I find an auction at, is there a site I could look at?

Leigh

Hi,

http://www.ylc.co.uk/auctions.php?zid=3 ... &catid=479
York machinery auction on this Wednesday- i've never been so can't comment but it may have a bargain or 2.

The 2 i go to most often are-

http://www.cwharrison.net/Auctions/Gallery.htm
http://www.robsonkay.co.uk/auction-diar ... logues.asp

They have had woodworking machinery auctions at least once a month with some very good stuff in.
I recently bought a 350mm wide tersa blade planer thicknesser 2002 spec for £400. It cost over £3000 new. I also bought a Sedgewick 300mm sliding table- rip saw with a similar spec to the saw your interested in for £300. Obviously the Sedgewick name speaks for itself.

You do have to trust your instincts a bit and be prepared to get dirty before the auction inspecting the machines but there are massive bargains to be had. After you have bought it if you don't like it you can always shift it by ebay and normally make a good profit!
Good luck

http://www.lithgowsauctions.com/

they have weekly (or bi weekly) auctions but each time can be a different type of thing being sold.
office furniture one week, tools another etc...

and its only in stokesley so getting closer...

Buying something via mail order, you have a 7 day cooling off period, by law. So there's nothing to stop you buying it and making your own mind up in the comfort of your own workshop.

wizer":186624h1 said:
Buying something via mail order, you have a 7 day cooling off period, by law. So there's nothing to stop you buying it and making your own mind up in the comfort of your own workshop.

That is a very good point Tom.

yo_chuci":1qi6bbam said:

http://www.lithgowsauctions.com/

they have weekly (or bi weekly) auctions but each time can be a different type of thing being sold.
office furniture one week, tools another etc...

and its only in stokesley so getting closer...

I didnt know about these people , thanks for the link :wink:

Hi Lads,
Thanks very much for the feedback.
I’ve signed up to all the links posted, thank you for your time.

Filsgreen,
I don’t believe it, I was in Scarborough yesterday with the kids. Are you happy with the saw, is the fence solid, what is the accuracy of the saw like?
Which extraction system are you using?
Nice shed!!!!!!!!!!!

Wizer,
Your name could not be more appropriate, a wise point indeed and one that I might just take the plunge with.

Leigh

Believe me, the nickname is Ironic ;)

People often think that buying something with the intention of trying out is deceiving or wrong. But it's not. The law is there for the exact reason you stated in your original post.

wizer":3scxzpxz said:
Believe me, the nickname is Ironic ;)

People often think that buying something with the intention of trying out is deceiving or wrong. But it's not. The law is there for the exact reason you stated in your original post.

Tom - are you sure that you are permitted to actually USE an item before return??? I thought the item had to be unused and in original condition so that it could be re-sold as "new".

Cheers

Karl

Yes I think that's right. So you'd need to make your mind up on looks (which is all you'd be able to do in the Axminster store) and then if you're happy run it up. Obviously from that point it would have to be faulty to be able to return it.

ok - I thought (from the quote below) that you meant that you were able to try it out in your own house and if you didn't like it, send it back (eg fire up the table saw, test cut some 2" oak, decided it wasn't good enough then send it back).

"People often think that buying something with the intention of trying out is deceiving or wrong. But it's not. The law is there for the exact reason you stated in your original post."

Cheers

Karl

Eggflan and yo_chuci,
I see you both come from Darlington, hello neighbours.
Where do you buy your machinery from? Which is the best place to buy timber?

leighf":1bmw1r9f said:
Eggflan and yo_chuci,
I see you both come from Darlington, hello neighbours.
Where do you buy your machinery from? Which is the best place to buy timber?

Hi Leighf , im a huge ebay nut so most of my tools are from cyberspace , i have been known to buy from Allan Wadkins in the past they are a good Makita dealer and also carry some Metabo stuff :wink:

As for timber i only really use softwoods so i tend to buy from North Yorkshire Timber on Whesso road , they do have a hardwood shed at the back of there site but im too scared to venture in as my bank ballance would not cope with my spending :lol: :lol:

only bought the odd thing off the bay too.
aint got any big machines tho. wasn't into it so much at M&D's then was renting and now i'm over here with a garage i can use i have a GF and a 2 1/2 yr old so spending too much on machines is a no no atm...
i am in the process of getting a bandsaw from a neighbour tho buck shee for abit of work back tho...
then i fancy making router table, a table for my cheapo table saw.. (well saw in a naff box)
so gonna start with a blank canvas of a garage and build units etc to sui my space while keeping an eye out for a better table saw.

edit... agree with eggflan about the wood tho... NYT are really good.
got the odd good piece from the reclamation place futher up the road too..

yo_chuci":2xg05dn1 said:
got the odd good piece from the reclamation place futher up the road too..

Oh i forgot about them , you can get a good deal if you dont mind rummaging around for dirty old timber that cleans up nice with a bit of work 8)

Latest posts

Back