Clock, an odd dish and a three sided bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzby

Established Member
Reaction score
Have seen the pencil project on youtube by a couple of people i had to give it a try as i had some epoxy from a past project. I have to say it was a really fun process and i am quite pleased with the result.

See the video's that inspired me here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y767gdemD8 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQkuw0Kt7GI

xDt8Nge.jpg

EEKIyVl.jpg

Pic of the "glue" up
neuz20s.jpg

An odd dish i made with an offcut I had. I am pleased with the strange shape but not that happy with the colouring. Was my first go at adding colour.
SrRrZIW.jpg

UJIm8Yi.jpg

and finally a project I have waited ages to try as I couldn't get a cube of wood. This is am very pleased with
ZGzWKxE.jpg

Feedback welcomed. I was given I good idea for the clock. Make the blank bigger and inset the hands so that you have another place you can see the cross section of pencils.

I like all three!

The clock I saw Tim do, and I recommended the process he used to Nick at NZ. The only real problem with filling a container with pencils and then pouring epoxy over is that you get left with gaps.

That being said,I like seeing pencils used like this, it gives a very interesting texture to the front of the clock which changes with the light. If you leave the epoxy slightly thicker on the face you will see a more 3D effect and depth.

I haven't plucked up the courage to stick my pencil blank in the chuck yet - I will one day!

The coloured bowl is interesting - I like the colours - again, something I intend to try soon after buying a stain set today.

The bottom bowl - yet AGAIN it is something I intend to try, but am having a similar problem getting a perfectly square block.

I guess I need to pull my finger out!

:D

Having a layer of epoxy on the face would be good but would need me to be much better at creating the blanks. The blank I made I got 2 clock blanks out of and these were only half pencils. I did expect the whole thing to explode on the lathe as you need to speed to try and get a good finish with the carbide tool. I guess you could add some more epoxy on the face right at the end. Just need a way to apply lots of thin coats but typing that it may be easier to build up layers of spray lacquer instead. Needs more experimenting I think. Just need a cheap supplier of epoxy.

With the 3 sided bowl my issue was always finding a big enough spindle. This was a 5x5x6 that I found at a show. Trimmed it down on the band saw and it was good to go.

There's nothing wrong with the colouring on the middle dish, but the outside shape really doesn't work, if it had matched the inside with either a small foot or no foot rather than a hollow spigot, then it would have been a truly classy piece. Good design is as important as good turning.

Back