Cleaning cast iron TS tops

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonsafari69

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve just been lucky enough to get a new to me TS with a cast iron top. In reality the top is in great shape with no real rust, just a few spots and needs a general clean up.

What’s the best way to clean this up? Before I get the fine wire wool and machine paste out (which would make sense I think), I though I’d better check with you chaps who’ve done it before as I don’t want to make a pigs ear of it. Hope you can help. Dave.

I’ve never found anything that can remove tea stain rings or similar. If the top isn’t rusty the best method of giving it a good shine is simply using it. You will be amazed how quickly it will get a nice shiny patina through use. Just keep it waxed with something like Liberon machine wax.

Wire wool and diesel works well if you want to remove crud from the top and start to shine it up. The diesel softens any resin residue / crud.

deema":1o1x5mhf said:
I’ve never found anything that can remove tea stain rings or similar. If the top isn’t rusty the best method of giving it a good shine is simply using it. You will be amazed how quickly it will get a nice shiny patina through use. Just keep it waxed with something like Liberon machine wax.

Wire wool and diesel works well if you want to remove crud from the top and start to shine it up. The diesel softens any resin residue / crud.
In the absence of diesel I use white spirit with fine wet/dry or webrax. A good wax afterwards keeps it clean and aids wood moving over the surface.

Hmm, there has to be safer options to clean stuff than diesel, surely...

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Try setting fire to diesel with anything less than a blowtorch; there's a good reason ships use it.

Its carcenogenic of course and stinks to high heaven but I daresay you'll survive.

Personally I've not tried diesel, but ordinary paraffin, or CH oil (much the same), or hyd fluid (brakes) all work well also, but as said above, only really if stubborn stains.

Also, NOT a huge fire hazard if you're sensible (don't bath the job in it, dispose of rags, paper towels, etc, sensibly). Please note also, oil-soaked wire wool CAN (sometimes) be a fire hazard.

Personally I just dump all such stuff in an old plastic shopping bag outside the back door (on concrete, against a concrete wall) and dispose of it regularly - don't let it build up into a mini mountain!

As also said above, once you get it looking "reasonable", just using it soon develops that fine "used but cared-for" look.

AES

Fair enough.

Last time I had some rust spots on my TS200 I used 1000 grit and then 2000 grit with a flat sanding block (with WD40) and then cleaned it up with Ballistol. The smell is an acquired taste but it brings up metal and plastics nicely. Also provides similar moisture protection to WD40.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

WD40 and the windy buff for me. Aldi clear furniture wax afterwards and I haven't had a problem on any of the cast in the shed.

I ended up using Mirka Mirlon pads with a ROS and WD-40 for lubrication. It worked amazingly well. Really happy with the end result. Then used some Axi machine paste for protection afterwards.

Back