Clamps doe edge gluing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MattRoberts":1yl5xn4b said:
LFS19":1yl5xn4b said:
I've just come across a Paul sellers video where he uses timber dogs; those also seem a cool and simple option.

Sure - but be warned they leave pretty hefty holes in the end grain...

Indeed - I think his approach was to leave the board a couple of inches longer than he wanted when cutting, and then remove the are with the holes.
I guess not ideal in some situations.

Thanks

paulm":1x6lqtoj said:
You could also use a Spanish Windlass approach, or even rachet straps, if you took care to keep the workpieces flat while tightening them up.

Cheers, Paul

Interesting; haven't heard of that. I'll check it out, thanks

glynster":29443oaj said:
I like to use these panel clamp heads - £16 for the hardware and then you use your own timber to make a clamp as long as you need it http://www.axminster.co.uk/york-panel-clamp-500008

I have the timber pre-drilled at regular intervals in various lengths - you can almost clamp any length

This type of head has an added bonus in that the battens top and bottom hold the panel flat. Traditional sash cramps tend to bow the panel upwards.

I'm a fan of cramp heads as you can make the clamp as long or as short as you like, plus the batten will sit upright on the bench unaided, unlike a metal sash cramp. I didn't realise this type of head was so cheap, I might have to invest....

I agree with what DTR says above, I love clamp heads that you use with your own timber. Infinitely variable, cheap and strong.
I bought a job lot of the record style ones off ebay and they're brilliant.
I looked at buying some 2500mm bessey bar clamps and quickly decided they were eye wateringly expensive compared to these clamp heads and some lengths of 25x38mm timber. Saved myself hundreds of pounds.
The drawback is speed, clamp heads require you to drill holes in the timber to move the clamp head position which is obviously much slower than just adjusting a purpose built clamp. For me I was happy with the compromise.
If I was a pro though, I'd shell out for the bessey clamps as they're superb

LFS19":1hgk7tu0 said:
I was wondering what people use here to edge glue boards together?

The ones I see people most often using are sash clamps, but I can't afford those.
Any suggestions?

Thanks allot

I thought I couldn't until I found Silverline expert Sash clamps.

Most of the stuff they produce is terrible, and although the castings on the heads are not pretty, they are strong as an Ox, with no flex. Around £10-16 a clamp depending on the size. Definitely worth a gamble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just built a bunch of bar clamps myself from 2 x 4s. I just the John Heisz design on ibuildit.ca

20160312_150137.jpg

Latest posts

Back