Cider making

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebeetle

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks to Emma (Mrs T) we were able to make cider this year with some (a car full of) proper cider apples, here are a few pics:

Hannah helping me to pulp the apples (Kingston black I think!)

Al filing the press with the pulp

The results after 4 pressings, in total we managed 14 gallons from 8 pressings.

Hannah helping with the last pressing.

All in all a fun couple of days, shame we don't get to sample the fruits of our labour for a few months yet!

That will turn your nose blue and hairy within a few years........ have you not seen west country brewery workers faces?

SNF3001TVFX-280_1135172a.jpg

Did you know how many apples you would expect to need to fill one jar (weight, not the actual numbers) ?
I only managed one demijon from a whole tree (okay, a very small tree).
Broke the homemade press as well, the next one will made of steel instead of Oak.

That first picture does look rather like you are about to do something unspeakable with that small child :shock:

It took me an awful lot of apples to make just a gallon too. A couple of large carrier bags full. I think I put it down to the lack of such a posh crusher - a freezer bag and a big mallet had to do. Does not get such good extraction, and harder work. I also broke my press, well, ruined the screw thread that was 20mm stainless steel studding. I've welded in a new length of studding, but it really ought to be an Acme thread, I suppose.

Rob, I'm not sure about the weight of the apples but we had the boot of a C-max full plus a few more small bags, I guess somewhere between 60 and 100kg. Cider apples also seemed to yield about a third more than the cookers and eaters we have used before.

Tony, don't worry she's still in one bit! We used to have a hand operated crusher but it was more suited to grapes so only lasted one season as it was bloody hard work.

Will also be looking to build a new press, maybe hydraulic (and probably a heavy oak frame) as I'm lazy and need something to keep up with the scratter!

I used cooking apples last time, I was the only one in the house who could drink it. It's a shame really as I have several boot loads of cooking apples on 3 trees, and 1 small eating (or maybe cider) apple tree.
..hmm, there is a certain advantage to making cider that no one else will drink, maybe I made a mistake this year :)

Yes Phil.p, I know exactly what you mean. At our allotments we have a small orchard of around 50 trees, apple (cook, eat, cider), pear (eat, perry), plum, cherry. We planted the trees about 3 years ago as maidens, and this is the first year there have been any appreciable amount of fruit on them (and then only some of the apples). Forgetting to check the labels, I bit into a Teign Harvey cider apple and discovered the wondrous nature of cider apples as an eater - bitter with an odd texture not to be repeated.... Our plan, eventually is to have enough to have communal cider days, amongst others.

Cheers,
Adam

phil.p":10vcddjk said:
Cider apples are totally inedible. They are like eating bitter cotton wool - you'd know if it was one of them.

It's amazing what you can learn on a woodwork forum :)
Thanks, they are quite edible so not cider apples.
Anyone know how to reduce maggots? Do I need those wax band things round the trunks?

You band them and or spray depending if you are worried about chemicals?

I forgot this year with my "family apple tree" and every apple has been worm damaged!!

Rod

So next spring you will be making Calvados :) the sourer apples are great for this. Personally My favourite is plum brandy.

dsc04709-alambic-2vff4gx9vxp8gsunlbwr28.jpg

Back