Chuck jaws coming loose

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Br5d

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently bit the bullet and got an adapter to attach a oneway stronghold chuck onto my Wadkin RS. I'd been using the Stonghold on my VB for ages and I've never had a problem with it, it's been well able to handle very large wood blanks @ 100Kg + with no issues. When using it on the wadkin I find that I regularly have to stop and retighten the chuck jaws as they have loosened whilst turning. It's an odd one and I was hoping someone might have a solution to this rather annoying issue!

Cheers

Assuming its happening on different woods ie its not a wood issue.
It looks like there is vibration coming from the adaptor.

Would a jubilee clip tightened around the outside of the jaws after they have been tightened help?

Brian

It keeps happening regardless of the timber in the jaws. I'll investigate the vibration and see where that gets me! The jubilee clip is definitely worth a try, Thanks for that Brian!

Did you service the chuck whilst changing/fitting adaptor, excessive scroll lubrication or seating play?

Everything is tight as a drum, when I lubricate the slides it's only a drop of oil at most.

I can see how this sort of thing could be a real concern for any user, no matter how experienced. One can only imagine the harm that could occur if things really let go!.

I guess there's always the possibility that if an operator (I'm sure not so in your case) had abused an awful lot of their tools and chucks over time that things might eventually go very badly wrong for them indeed ! I guess retirement from their hobby might be a safer route if that were the case!

Maybe though it's really just a little wobble from time to time when too much pressure is applied by tools ? Easy solution would be to apply less pressure ?

A strange one indeed!
Brian very sensibly suggested vibration as the cause. Does it happen at all speeds? It's possible that one of the Wadkin speeds is a critical speed, generating (possibly high frequency) vibration to loosen the jaws. If that is the case, it may be worth inspecting the pulleys for that speed and checking for damage or looseness.
If you don't have the means to measure vibes, put a small bowl of water on or close to the headstock and see if you get some sort of standing waves building up - that may indicate a particular frequency or magnitude of vibration.
Duncan

Blimey ...makes me glad I didn't get that Wadkin off eBay!

Seems like (in an almost Davies way of managing a transition, such as Brexit or whatever) it's possible that little by little the old 'past it' pieces may have to be taken out and replaced by shiny new modern pieces and there's going to have to be crossed fingers that things dont fall apart during the transition!

dcmguy":369z5qku said:
Blimey ...makes me glad I didn't get that Wadkin off eBay!

Each to his own but, I will say that I picked my Wadkin up for a song and I've converted it to variable speed with a new 3hp motor and other than the inconvenience of the jaws opening on the chuck I'm very happy with the results. It has expanded my range of turning products tenfold! :lol:

Duncan A":xjcqiqeu said:
A strange one indeed!
Brian very sensibly suggested vibration as the cause. Does it happen at all speeds? It's possible that one of the Wadkin speeds is a critical speed, generating (possibly high frequency) vibration to loosen the jaws. If that is the case, it may be worth inspecting the pulleys for that speed and checking for damage or looseness.
If you don't have the means to measure vibes, put a small bowl of water on or close to the headstock and see if you get some sort of standing waves building up - that may indicate a particular frequency or magnitude of vibration.
Duncan

I'm going to give the water bowl a spin and see what comes of it, great idea that!

Thanks

Br5d":3aoskvpq said:
The jubilee clip is definitely worth a try!

Nooooooooo! Not if you value your fingers / wrist / arm.

Ive a scar on my thumb a 1 1/2" long from a spanner slipping and catching a j-clip. Thought of one spinning at 1500 rpm attached to a chuck that's not quite holding 'right' is really scary!

S

Well it certainly has been a voyage of discovery today. I tried Duncan's suggestion about the bowl of water and was able to work out exactly at which speed the vibration started and again when it ended and was able to make enough adjustments to eliminate the vibration completely. Which put a big silly grin on this mug of mine. I'd like to thank you all for your helpful suggestions and advice! Cheers!

That's good news :)

Wonder if introducing a thin spacer of plastic, paper, card or whatever between the chuck adaptor and the spindle might shift the balance slightly and reduce or eliminate the vibration ? Could be worth experimenting perhaps ?

Back