Christmas Cat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimiJimi

Established Member
Reaction score
This is something I made for my niece for Christmas (her cat is called Cassie, not her!). I thought I might fill in the drill hole on the cutout name, paint it, and give it to her as an extra gift.

Cassie 1 compressed.jpg

Cassie 2 compressed.jpg

Attachments

• Cassie 1 compressed.jpg
    Cassie 1 compressed.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,138
  • Cassie 2 compressed.jpg
    Cassie 2 compressed.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,138
Nice one, Jimi. Looks quite thick, or is that an illusion? Good idea to cut the name so it can be kept. Is that the hole in the 'C' where you started the cutout? I wonder if you could have drilled it where it wouldn't have been noticed.

Martin.

Thanks Martin. The wood is some 20mm ply that I scrounged from a factory that makes baseboards for wiring. I wanted the piece thick enough to stand up. Yes, the hole is in the 'C' - to be honest, I haven't done anything like this before and didn't anticipate that the name would come out in one piece.

Jimi

I created the text using the free graphics program 'Inkscape'. I don't know if you have used it - it looks quite baffling at first but a bit of time working through the tutorials is well worth it. I am very proud of the cat shape making the letter ' i ' - I created that myself on the program.

Clever stuff jimi, in fact very much the cats pyjamas I'll bet the bairn loves it

Chas

See what you mean about it being baffling Jim. Will take a bit of getting used to. What font did you use?

Sean

I think it was Comic Sans font. Try working through the Inkscape manual, under the 'Help' button - there are lots of projects on there which teach the basics really quickly.

Jimi

Baldhead

Thanks for the video link - that looks amazing! I'll definitely look into that for other projects.

Thanks,

Jimi

Back