Chop saw recommendation?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Farmer Giles":23xujf0r said:
I'm seriously considering getting the Bosch GCM 12 GDL, the one without the slide bars. I currently have an ELU RAS which I am happy with cross cut wise, but I'm constantly digging out my old Faithful mitre saw as it has much large capacity. I have the faithful bolted to a large wheeled stanley toolbox and it has been blinding at all the oak skirting and door architrave mitreing when I was renovating the house but most of my stuff is workshop bound now.

I want the old mitre saw in the barn to cut firewood/kindling and I want my shop saw to do both fine carpentry and bigger stuff and the Bosch seems to tick both boxes plus I can put it up to the wall and save some space. The Festool is about 300 quid more and smaller capacity and I don't care if it hoovers up a bit more sawdust. If I sell the RAS then it's not too much of a jump to get the Bosch, but a lot more to get the festool and I can't see why I would do that.

Anybody got the Bosch GDM 12 GDL with the glide system and can opine based on practical experience? I've read loads of reviews and seen lots of videos but sometimes there is no substitute for long term hands on experience from a fellow amateur wood butcher :)

Cheers
Andy
You should out Jon Peter's YouTube channel. I think in one of his recent workshop updates he talks about not being totally happy with this Bosch - side to side slop.

Like the majority of these sliding mitre saws, they all have some play (unless you go for the Kapex or something). So IMO paying a lot for one just doesn't make any sense for woodworking because you are always going to the fine tuning afterwards anyway. Fair enough if you are using it on site and need something robust. But to spend £400+ on something that isn't even that good is bonkers.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Interesting, most of the reviews I've seen including quite in depth ones reckon they are pretty good, this is an example of a review that goes down to reasonable level of detail, and I'm more inclined to trust bearings than rods. Festool can't have a monopoly on good design so I think I may wander into the Warrington branch of Axminster and have a play with both but I doubt if will pod out Festool money for my level of use, but as you say, I won't pay £600 plus for something with huge amounts of slop.

It's a large saw so I would expect a small level of tolerance. I wouldn't moan if I was making picture frames for a living and there was detectable inaccuracies, its the wrong tool for that, but I would expect it to be within a gnats doo dah for most joinery.

Anybody got one?

I have a Makita LS1013 and it is spot on. Very rarely do i have to do any fine tuning, so i don't agree it is bonkers to pay £400+ for a mitre saw. I find it way more versatile than the Dewalt RAS i had, plus i can take it on site.

Andy, Steve Maskery has the bosch GCM GDL - he might be along to give his thoughts.

I've done a lot of research on mitre saws, and have concluded that the bosch is the best there is bar the kapex, which as you say doesn't seem worth the extra cost given the decrease in capacity.

I saw the Jon Peters video, and have to take that against all of the overwhelmingly positive reviews from loads of other people. Garage woodworks just did a review video including testing the accuracy with a dial indicator, and the bosch came out shining right out of the box. I'd still go for the bosch, and indeed will be buying it in the near future.

FYI, axminster all the bosch as well as the kapex, so you may well be able to play with both side by side

Hi,

one other option you might consider - second hand. I have an old DW708 (predecessor of the DW780) and I love it - dead accurate and repeatable cuts - no fancy light/laser jobby, but probably not as "cost-engineered" as its successor. I bet the DW780 is less solidly engineered than my old one, but I've not tried the new one (seems like being unfaithful!).

I also like Metabo tools.

Cheers, W2S

Another option, if you can sacrifice some cutting width, is a non-slider with a larger (300mm+) blade.

I am thinking of flogging my 205mm Dewalt and buying a non-slider Metabo KS305). Less room needed behind the tool and more likely to be consistently true...just a thought.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Thanks for your comments guys. I shall wait a couple of weeks and see if there are any offers or other comments and reviews but ultimately even though I can probably get a saw a few quid cheaper that Axminster, because its a high cost item I would rather have the support.

I think looking at them in the flesh is the thing to do so I shall cadge a lift to Warrington Axminster from a neigbour who has just bought a wood lathe, I can't drive at the moment, doctors orders for about another 6 months. I think there is a turning day first Tuesday of the month, that should inspire him :)

Cheers
Andy

I saw a similar video when looking for the problem, it's weird go the reviews are so polarised. The saw is either the mutts nuts or something smelly that you would rather not step in :)

There have been some very in depth reviews by very critical users complaining of other stuff like the guard spring being too strong and causing blade deflection but they didn't pick up on the bearing slop and they definitely would have.

So is the issue quality control, an errant batch, wear and tear or something else?

Given there is only a percentage of users complaining I don't think it's wear and tear, bearings can take a lot of hammer and the complaining users don't seem to be all heavy users.

I will take a butcher's in the flesh :)

Well, I can't drive at the moment, doctors orders, so I'm relying on mates for lifts and I haven't had a chance to get over the Axminster in Warrington to check out the big Bosch.

I sold the Toylander I made for the kids last week for a reasonable amount so I bit the bullet and pressed the buy button at Axminster for the Bosch GSM 12 GDL saw and the GTA2500 gravity rise table package. It arrives Thursday morning, I shall let you know what I think.

After looking at loads of reviews, both good and bad, I think the positive reviews far outweigh the bad, this is quite a good review, if a bit long winded. That review, a glass of wine and Christmas TV boredom plus the Toylander cash all conspired to make me press that button :)

If it's pants, it goes back. If not I shall probably sell my RAS. I may do a full review of the Bosch if I get time.

I have had the same set up 12"GDL and Bosch cart, for about a year and made literally thousands of cuts with it (made two large timber framed cart sheds, and a 6m by 4m free standing pergola). It's a fantastic bit of kit. I prefer it to the Kapex because of capacity, but Kapex mitre adjustment is superior. If Bosch would make the tilt mitre adjustment capable of being dialled in accurately with a screw adjuster, then it would beat the Kapex as well. The other thing they need design wise is a fan draw on the (quite hopeless) dust extraction. Still a superb, bomb proof tool though.

Not sure if it's big enough for you but the Metabo KGS254 iplus is powered by an induction motor and sounds silky smooth compared to every other chopsaw I've heard since the old ELU TGS flip over saws. Lovely quality, better dust extraction than most, but very heavy. I have mine on a dewalt rolling table saw stand but these are really meant for permanent mounting in the shop or a large van ! The thing that swung it for me was the precision. With a 60 tooth blade on hardwoods the cuts have a "planed" finish to them that is marvellous :)

You will love the gravity table, pic below shows it just open and not levelled with the jack down legs, just to show how wide it opens up.

Gravity table.jpg

Mike

Attachments

• Gravity table.jpg
    Gravity table.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 880
I'm looking forward to tomorrow morning now, just clearing a space in the workshop for it. I've also ordered the quick release clamp for it, £26 from Amazon US, at the price of the saw it should be included.

41ykR0nM4gL.jpg

Attachments

• 41ykR0nM4gL.jpg
    41ykR0nM4gL.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 859
It replaces the clamp that comes with the saw and has quick release which the stock one doesn't have. I find a clamp handy on a mitre saw, especially on longer stock. On my present saw I have it attached to the lid of a site box so I can use my boot to steady stock, on the new saw the table is much higher and I would have to take up yoga to get my boot that high :)

The new table has a wider stock stand than the old one so I won't use it that much. I don't mind paying 26 quid for it, as it is also a safety aid, but the UK price of over 40 quid is taking the proverbial. It's the kind of thing I would rather be looking at than looking for :)

Thanks for the explanation, obvious once its explained, I thought the long vertical bit was a handle. #-o

Mike

Latest posts

Back