Chisel Set

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griggs

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to replace my general purpose bevel edge chisel set and am looking at Marples, but wonder if anyone could clarify the differences betweem the M373 range and the MS500 range?

Many thanks.

The ms500 has soft-grip handles. Some people find hard plastic handles slippery when sweaty. I don't really get sweaty when chiselling.

I brought a set of Marples split-proofs (the M373s) in the early days of my amateur woodworking 'career'. If I recall they were the priciest chisel that Screwfix did and I was ever-so pleased with myself because I was sure I was buying quality kit.

That was before I even knew premium makers existed, understood that vintage tools can be sweet or had learnt about fine bevels and decent steel - or anything at all about chisels for that matter.

The neat thing is, they're really not so bad. It's true that the bevel edge is on the crude side of trip hazard - but they do inspire confidence when you're going to give them a beating. Remarkably the faces (backs) were all as close to flat as anything I've seen since, so set-up was astonishingly quick and they sharpen easily and take a reasonable edge.

These day's I'd plump for a vintage set of firmer chisels for general use - but if you don't fancy a restoration project I reckon you could do a lot worse than the Marples. Or you might want to look at Narex for an alternative mid-priced new set. Never used them myself, but I doubt Matthew would sell rubbish.

If you are going for new...then Narex are fine...excellent tools and Workshop Heaven is a superb source with great customer service.

If you are going secondhand...get old steel...any maker like Ward, Sorby (very good) or old Marples (three shamrocks logo) from bootfairs or fleaBay and sharpen them up and each takes on a personality of their own...which I find less sterile than having perfect sets.

Jim

I'd second and third the Narex chisels. Excellent quality steel, nice side grinding...the only thing that lets them down in my view at least, is that the new handles are still a bit 'agricultural', but apart from that, very difficult to fault - Rob

Thanks for the replies.

I'll follow the link and have a look at the Narex chisels.

Back