Chest of drawers.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petertheeater

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All. Anybody have any idea what these drawers are made of. I have been asked to make some more furniture to match them. I dont usually get involved in matching somebody"s aged, patinated furniture but maybe if I at least get the species right, I might have half a chance. I have my ideas but dont want to influence the consensus.
Many thanks in advance.
Peter

Attachments

• Existing Antique Drawer copy 2.jpg
    Existing Antique Drawer copy 2.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 213
Ash, maybe. Best look inside, perhaps those surfaces don't have finish.

Weight is also a good indicator of type of wood. If it is chestnut, it should be as heavy as a pine chest (thereabouts).

Is it really an antique? It's hard to tell from a single photo but I wonder if it could be something made cheaply in the far east to look a bit like a campaign piece, which would mean that the wood is extra hard to identify. The fittings all look equally undamaged and the black (paint?) very uniform. The corner trims on the drawers are nailed on, and all of the nail heads are bright and clean.

I reckon there is just a chance that the cheapest easiest way would be to go back to the original importer and see what they have in their warehouse - but I don't want to do you out of the job!

Back