Cherry goblet split

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brianp

Established Member
Reaction score
I've made a pair of small cherry goblets as a present and typically with cherry, there's been a couple of small splits in it.

I was thinking about filling the cracks in (they're about 1cm long) with maybe a black/silver/grey paint or powder - any of you used something like that to do this that I could use?

Thanks! (Will put pics up a bit later see if that helps!)

Agree completely with Bob on this one - use the sanding dust from the wood with the crack and superglue. I find it helps to fill the crack with the dust, apply the superglue and rub away excess glue with more sanding dust and fingers (wear latex gloves if you don't like getting superglue on your fingers) this makes "dust slurry" which will then completely fill the crack. Leave overnight and finish sand.

Sounds great! But what if, say, hypothetically speaking, just in case it, eh, happens again - the shavings are all swept up in a bag, the piece is already oiled and sanded. Just hypothetically. :oops:

Ok, this is apple and not a goblet but the same applies. Make sure the wood has stopped moving, clean up the cracks with a knife or small file and then coat the surrounding wood with some sanding sealer as CA glue will stain a pale wood. When that is dry, put a thin CA glue along the crack then dribble your powder, sanding dust or whatever you are using into the glue and push into the crack. I use the end of a blunted screwdriver for this. Make sure that the crack is filled and that the filler is slightly proud. When thoroughly dry sand back until it is level with the surrounding wood and, if necessary fill any parts of the splits that haven't been filled fully and repeat. As you can see, some of the cracks in this one didn't fill fully first time and were later repeated.

Hope this helps

Pete

Attachments

• apple faux tortoise shell wenge  collar (6).JPG
    apple faux tortoise shell wenge collar (6).JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 812
Back