Cheapo dovetail jigs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mar_mite

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all, I've just got a job in that requires lots of dovetails. As it's the first job that needs one I've had in 5 years of working on my own, and can't see anymore on the horizon I don't want to spent too much.

Are the cheap ones any good?

Cheers

I went through this debate a while ago. I ended up with the UJK Jig from Axminster. Not Leigh money but not cheap plastic either. I did read good reviews about screwfix but a few said the plastic wasn't strong and I wanted something that would be durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no doubt that the Leigh dovetail jig is the RR of jigs, I picked up mine off e-bay for under £200.00 for a D4R, have to say it makes me look good. =D>

Mike

MattRoberts":178x5rjo said:
Welcome to borrow my trend CDJ300 if you treat it well :)
Mate, that's really kind of you. I think I'll buy one though. Any excuse to buy tools.

the cheap ones are shocking, many years ago I bought the axminister one, it was horrendous, bought the trend one within a week, it was fine ............... since then I have spent a small fortune on brookmans and Omec machines but thats a different story.

I am looking for a dovetail jig and can't decide between the RTJ400 which seems a doddle to use on the table and will do what I need at the moment and the D4R pro which is eyewateringly expensive but makes cutting inlaid dovetails simple and it's something I would like to do. Is there any other jig out there that will enable cutting inlaid dovetails that is cheaper than the Leigh?

MikeJhn":1dz0tytq said:
There is no doubt that the Leigh dovetail jig is the RR of jigs, I picked up mine off e-bay for under £200.00 for a D4R, have to say it makes me look good. =D>

Mike

Look on e-bay for the D4R there are few there second hand at the moment, you will not regret getting one.

Mike

Back