Cheapest mobile usage abroad

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldhead

Established Member
Reaction score
The wife and I are off on a cruise around Central America, anyone have any ideas as to the best deal for using a mobile there?

Stew
Edit We're both on O2 with iPhones

I am guessing that you want to make calls between UK and Central America? I would look at your existing provider and their international bolt on option. Are you only wanting to make calls while in port? If so you will need to check each country to make sure the bolt on applies to that country. All operators have different roaming agreements with other international operators and the picture is complicated. The other option is to use the WiFi aboard ship and something like Skype for free calls but it doesn't have the convenience that other people can call you as easily. (That might be a good thing!)
Also make sure you know what you are doing with your mobile data as it is easy to run up large data charges abroad with apps you ahve running etc. I would switch this off while abroad by default. Charges are better than they used to be but I used to average £700/month when I was travelling to Asia and that wasn't with heavy usage so be careful.

Check the Countries you are visiting with 3 (Three). They offer inclusive calls (and data) abroad in a great many Countries nowadays.

If you are on iOS devices, and the people you are calling are on iOS devices, you can Facetime for nothing between them if you access to WiFi - or inclusive data on 3.

Baldhead, you'll need to check how it applies (or not) to your current UK provider, but I THINK (don't know) that if you can have Skype on your mobile, and assuming the person/s you will be calling have Skype too (it's free) then when within range of the local mast in whatever port/s you call at you should be able to make calls to any other Skype user at no charge at all (regardless of call duration).

I know this works on mobiles based in some countries, but not here (Switzerland) for my Blackberry, and I'm just not sure about UK, but worth checking?

HTH

AES

P.S. Enjoy the cruise.

AES":d9yrdvr2 said:
Baldhead, you'll need to check how it applies (or not) to your current UK provider, but I THINK (don't know) that if you can have Skype on your mobile, and assuming the person/s you will be calling have Skype too (it's free) then when within range of the local mast in whatever port/s you call at you should be able to make calls to any other Skype user at no charge at all (regardless of call duration).

I know this works on mobiles based in some countries, but not here (Switzerland) for my Blackberry, and I'm just not sure about UK, but worth checking?

HTH

AES

P.S. Enjoy the cruise.

Yeah, no, unfortunately.

Skype like any VOIP apps will require data. Fine on WiFi, or using included data in your plan (not always roaming, see my post above).

Just to clear that up before it all goes horribly wrong.

In all probability, the ship will have some wifi capacity, both when in doc and when crusing in the evening. Use that (imessage/facetime/skype/facebook) and it will be free or a modest cost. I'd be incredibly wary of trying to use ANY data services when on shore. So I'd take pictures when out, and send them and make data based calls when back on the ship.

Wifi on Cruise Ships is notoriously expensive - or so I have been told by folks that have been on them.
Wait till you get onshore and try for free wifi in Cafes etc?

Rod

That is true. Mc D is your friend :)

(the benefit of using the on-board Wifi, is that its likely you will have to buy it in advance, and when you reach your limit it will cut out).

All of USA is "Feel at Home" with Three - in other words it's the same as domestic allowance. If I was you I'd get a one month contract with them, or a PAYG SIM with the data addon. You'll struggle to find cheaper than that!

Back