Cheaper Steb Centres Now?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I love a bargain, the Chronos range is far from complete. I want a 1" 1MT and they only do half inch at present. I may drop into their shop and look at the sets. It looks like there are drive and live centre stalks which you attach a head to and there are three sizes of four-prong and steb/crown heads in the set.

Most intriguing.

Steve

Today I can't get that Chronos link to work (error 404) and my site searches (live centres etc) don't bring them up. I did look the other day and they were there, but could they possibly have disappeared?

Hi Douglas,
I checked and did a few more extensive searches but you're right - they've disappeared completely.

I also tried searching for the individual item codes as well and they do not come up.
They may have sold out or been closed down from selling them?
Jon

Damn - i should have bought the other day. I will call Chronos - i wanted a live so I can make a cone vcentre for another job (slip over the steb) and this gave me a useful alternative live, cheap.

please post back if the news is positive- i was planning on ordering a set too!

Yep, all fine now - odd they have them on eBay but not visible in their own store anywhere. But they can be had, so all good - thanks for re-finding!

More expensive on ebay £22.00 for 1" 2mt revolving tailstock centre ,£14.94 including vat and free postage from chronos website, ordered mine on 28 nov and got confirmation its in the post today .

Like Mark B, I placed an order with them on 26th Nov, have received it today.
Only drawback was that the brain dead postperson forced it through the letter box and wrecked the draft excluder AGAIN!

Dave

A big thanks to Chipmunk for drawing attention to these ones from Chronos.

I bought one, at just over a tenner delivered there's not much to loose, but wow, these really do the business.
I can't see myself ever going back to using conventional drive centres.

Rhossydd":1fbi3ugy said:

Nor I, I bought th Sorby Steb 18 months ago and haven't used a prong drive since.

I also have the 1 1/4 live and dead Sorby, but have just ordered the 1/2" live from chronic. Shame they don't do an mt2 1/2" so had to get the mt1 and a mt2 sleeve.

Phil

Sheptonphil":qvedlmg7 said:
Rhossydd":qvedlmg7 said:

Nor I, I bought th Sorby Steb 18 months ago and haven't used a prong drive since.

I also have the 1 1/4 live and dead Sorby, but have just ordered the 1/2" live from chronic. Shame they don't do an mt2 1/2" so had to get the mt1 and a mt2 sleeve.

Phil

Traditional 4 and 2 prong drives are still useful and I use mine regularly despite having a large steb and chuck mounted steb. In wet or soft wood I find that steb centres will often loose grip and let the wood spin. Once this has happened a few times the teeth can create a deep ring groove and once it's reached the depth of the teeth the steb is useless. In such timbers I often just go straight for the 4 prong.

Just splashed out on this package:-
centres.jpg

Does not fit my machine spindle but have several ways of getting round that so thought they were worth a punt for the flexibility available.

Attachments

• centres.jpg
    centres.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,098
CHJ":1yjtw3lj said:
Just splashed out on this package:-
Does not fit my machine spindle but have several ways of getting round that so thought they were worth a punt for the flexibility available.

Is there not anywhere to buy an adaptor to reduce the thread size

Dalboy":fhp6b8o1 said:
Is there not anywhere to buy an adaptor to reduce the thread size

There should be several somewhere for use with smaller spindles, seem to remember one make of chuck uses its 33mm thread for its supplied reducers.

My Machine is old school and has 1-1/2" X 6 thread.
Can make my own work around if necessary but easy option will probably be to just grip the supplied nose chuck in engineering jaws I have for 4 jaw scroll chuck. (plenty of bed length on my machine for spindle work)

You can bet that the short stub threads on the back of the drives will be a pretty standard size?

I might be tempted to throw the M33 x 3.5 nose part away if it didn't fit my lathe and make up a chuckable "lump" for my favourite jaw set that is threaded to take the drive centres.

I'd have thought that was the work of a moment for a man of your talents, Chas.
Jon

chipmunk":zwcaycvv said:
.. make up a chuckable "lump" for my favourite jaw set that is threaded to take the drive centres.

I'd have thought that was the work of a moment ...
Jon

We eagerly await the delivery, still not dispatched !! :(

I have just bought the MT2 drive centre with the 1" head and a live centre for the tailstock with a 3/8" head. These two together were cheaper at £27 than the genuine tailstock stebcentre that I bought a couple of years ago at over £40. I hope the quality is OK!!!

Back