Cheap miter saw stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davic

Established Member
Reaction score
I am after a cheap miter saw stand and there is one made by Wolf on Amazon for about £60. Just wondering if anyone has used one or opinions on this type of stand. I use an Evolution rage saw. The link

My SCMS is on such a stand, not that it is exactly that model, but pretty much the same design.
+ Rigid
- Quite a lot. Attaching the saw to the stand is tricky. The fastenings that came with it were dreadful necessitating the saw to be balanced - and I do mean balanced - on the top with one hand whilst I used my other two hands to fit the brackets. Also the rollers are mounted centrally, but the saw is also fairly central, which means that the workpiece is supported by only the front half of the rollers. You can mount the saw further back, but it becomes unbalanced, so there is a limit. When I get up and running again I plan to modify the roller supports so that they are mounted further forward.

I fixed the mounting problem by screwing the saw to a board and then fitting the board with cleats and turnbuttons so that I can just drop it onto the top bars and lock it down. That is a much better arrangement that the original nonsense.

Thanks Steve, that's put me off a little bit. I a really a diy'er and decided that one basically because of the weight. Any ideas on a better model that is not too expensive? Sub £100 if possible

Just been looking around and there is another thread that mentions the Bosch(could of looked here first really :() Spoke to MTS power tools in Northampton and have them quite cheap.

Trouble is they got a bit peculiar when I asked about the returns policy as I have had a bit of bad luck lately and dont want to get stung. I mentioned the 'distance selling regulations' and it was like I'd insulted them?????

They where possibly thinking you would use it for a job then return it, it has been done before.

Pete

I've just had another look at the pic and TBH that does look better than the Axi WHite one I have. The handles ont he front look more sensible. But I bet the rollers are still central. You need support at the front for boards of any width.
S

Racers":dvsakk86 said:
They where possibly thinking you would use it for a job then return it, it has been done before.

Pete

I would never have thought that in a million years. That's fair enough really if that sort of thing happens; i'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this anyway. I will buy one and do so in good faith too :)

Racers":rzuytykg said:

Pete

They must have had a bit of bad luck themselves, the chap on the phone told me he was gonna take them off ebay. I didn't believe him, he bloody has though. I only asked so that I could save him some ebay fees, probably wont bother in the future

I know it's out of your price range £150! Most places, picked mine up brand new £130. Dewalt stand is awesome, really quick to set up and put away, really strong and great attachment gear. I see them on EBay now and then??

mahomo59":3p3tju5f said:
I know it's out of your price range £150! Most places, picked mine up brand new £130. Dewalt stand is awesome, really quick to set up and put away, really strong and great attachment gear. I see them on EBay now and then??

Yeah I fancy one of those but its too rich for me :eek:

Got that bosch in the end. Seems pretty solid but I had to cut a bit off my saw to get the 45° setting

davic":2fawkg5n said:
Got that bosch in the end. Seems pretty solid but I had to cut a bit off my saw to get the 45° setting
I might be having a really thick moment but I don't understand this comment. Reads like you mangled the saw to get it working with the stand. Is this correct?

memzey":1oj7hc4o said:
davic":1oj7hc4o said:
I might be having a really thick moment but I don't understand this comment. Reads like you mangled the saw to get it working with the stand. Is this correct?

Yes

memzey":3h7w7nyg said:
Ok - how did that come about then? I'm struggling to wrap my brain round that one?

The detachable mounts that the saw sit on got in the way of the turn table. The handle of the turntable has a plastic bit protruding out and I could not see a use for it so I chopped it off. The other thing to do would have raised the saw up so it went over the mount but it was late and I was tired.....

Hope this helps (on a couple of levels...) :D

Back