Chainsaw visors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soupdragon

Reaction score
Hi Lads and lasses.

First time poster here. I was wondering what people think to the suitability of chainsaw visors for protection against rogue bowls and flying projects.

Are they strong enough and how's their visibility?

I was looking at things along the lines of the Makita Chainsaw Head Protection from axminster or the Oregon Waipoua Chainsaw Safety Helmet which can be found on amazon. (Sorry can't post links yet)

Thanks in advance for any advice. Great forum btw folks! :)

Soupdragon":6gg7rkbu said:
Hi Lads and lasses.

First time poster here. I was wondering what people think to the suitability of chainsaw visors for protection against rogue bowls and flying projects.

Are they strong enough and how's their visibility?

I was looking at things along the lines of the Makita Chainsaw Head Protection from axminster or the Oregon Waipoua Chainsaw Safety Helmet which can be found on amazon. (Sorry can't post links yet)

Thanks in advance for any advice. Great forum btw folks! :)

Welcome from a fellow Manc! I reckon any visor is good enough protection rather than spending silly money on a chain saw visor. :wink:

Thanks Gray :D As a bit of a noob I was reading up on some H&S here and thought it best to get something a bit stronger than my elasticated safety goggles. You reckon these are overkill then?

Good to see another clothcap wearer here btw! :D

There's quite a few 'Northerners' on here I think. I haven't done a great deal of turning, but the basic face shields available with stop the sharp edges getting at you, the force of any impact will push any face shield against your face I would imagine. http://www.axminster.co.uk/scan-standar ... ield-visor I suppose you need to look at the thickness of the perspex. (Hazel Grove....you?)

Lol, even to my safety conscious eyes the second link looks a bit much :D

I'm just down the way in Levenshulme. I'm just starting out turning after a year of hand carving, and was planning on going along to Trafford Woodcraft to learn some of the basics.

Pretty excited to get started really :)

Soupdragon

There was a lot of debate on the US forums, sometime back, on wearing protective headgear eg climbing helmet.
Personally, I would wear a full face visor eg Axminster has them - it stops the bits and pieces spoiling your beauty BUT it doesn't stop the big pieces and I suggest nothing will.

Prevention is the way to stop the big pieces hitting you when a piece blows up:
1. Always stand out of the line of fire - ie both when starting the lathe and when turning
2. RPMs should not exceed safe limits - there is a formula that is based upon diameter ie the larger the diameter the slower the speed. Details at turning-rpm-tables-t72220.html 4th post
3. Only turn sound wood if it has cracks or shakes or other weakness get another piece.
4. If you are not comfortable slow the speed down.

HTH

Brian

Can't help with what to wear whilst turning, but I do use a chainsaw a lot (at least 20 hrs a week) and I wear one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Sti...8410523&sr=8-1&keywords=stihl+chainsaw+helmet
I took a 3 inch square lump of oak in the gob about a month ago at top speed and all it did was dent my pride and give me a sore lip, so I reckon they are pretty good at keeping your good looks intact.
HTH

(Sorry, I don't know how to make a link show as one word if you know what I mean!)

Soupdragon":91dlsmv3 said:
Cheers Brian. Sound advice indeed mate :) next stop is shopping for a respirator :)

Turn green wood - a lot less dust and its far cheaper if you can get a local source.
Again keep the speed down when sanding and it keeps the dust level down.

Brian

Soupdragon":h93radxq said:

I'm just down the way in Levenshulme. I'm just starting out turning after a year of hand carving, and was planning on going along to Trafford Woodcraft to learn some of the basics.

Good stuff, when is it?

Further to what Brian said, dust is by far more likely to do you harm than the chances of being hit. It will be there every single time you turn. There are some scary facts about wood dust, well worth some research before you buy protection.

Grayorm":vab4lv65 said:
Soupdragon":vab4lv65 said:

Good stuff, when is it?

The next club meeting is on 6th January at 7.00pm, the venue is Altrincham College of Art, Green Lane, Timperley. They meet every Monday at the same venue and have full access to the college workshop.

It's handy for me as it's near where I'll be working this coming year.

I'll definitely be visiting hwpt in hazel grove too though. Really close to home.

Dan

Soupdragon":2axylyoe said:
The next club meeting is on 6th January at 7.00pm, the venue is Altrincham College of Art, Green Lane, Timperley. They meet every Monday at the same venue and have full access to the college workshop.

I'll definitely be visiting hwpt in hazel grove too though. Really close to home.

Dan

Ah mis read, I thought you meant it was a show of some sort. hwpt????? Help me out :roll:

Grayorm":1vkfb1fx said:
Soupdragon":1vkfb1fx said:

Dan

Ah mis read, I thought you meant it was a show of some sort. hwpt????? Help me out :roll:

Here you go Gray: http://www.hpwt.org.uk :)

Soupdragon":uxh9p0y4 said:
Grayorm":uxh9p0y4 said:
Soupdragon":uxh9p0y4 said:

Dan

Here you go Gray: http://www.hpwt.org.uk :)

Ah! walking distance for me! Thanks Dan. As I said I'm not a turner. I do have a little lathe but it's stood on end due to lack of space at the moment.

Latest posts

Back