Cedar wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewlace66

Reaction score
Where can I but this cedar wood from
d729fed05d1bebcaaf7bc5e66ccf02f5.jpg

Hello Andrewlace 66 and welcome.
You need more posts to enable pics to be posted, can't remember how many!
Regards Rodders

I just got a flash of you're pic while replying.
I would say It is western red cedar, and looks about 30mm square.
Used mainly for outdoor joinery, rot resistant and not cheap.
You will need to find a supplier near you that will cut and plane to you're needs if you don't have the machinery.
HTH Regards Rodders

PS, Just Googled western red cedar supplies Bolton, and got this,---

http://www.southgatetimber.co.uk/catalo ... oClBTw_wcB
Thre are several others.
Rodders

andrewlace66":1a76n06y said:
If cedar cost a lot is there any other wood I can use
Pine, poplar, oak, maple, walnut, etc can all be machined to those dimensions. To get suggestions for an alternative suitable species it might be easier for us with some detail about your intentions. For instance, is the end product for use externally requiring durability (i.e. rot resistance), or internally where durability isn't a factor, a rough idea of the quantity required (ft³ for example)and perhaps your budget, and an indication if the end product is to be finished or unfinished (polished or painted perhaps), etc? All pointers from you can help. Slainte.

Western red cedar is about as good as you can get, but very expensive, as you know,
And will outlast most other timbers by years.
Guessing that treated timber is out because of the chemicals, the next cheapest would be the common red deal , as sold by the usual builders merchants, etc. NOT by Wickes or the DIY"sheds".
By beveling off any flat areas, such as cills, etc and help throw the water off and stain and maintain regularly, would be the way.
Regards Rodders

andrewlace66":2ktbsxx7 said:
It's a birdhouse externally cheap as I can. And it going to be clear stained
Marine plywood might a reasonable choice. B&Q offer 18 mm hardwood plywood, which they reckon is good for sheds, so would probably be okay for bird boxes, but it's fairly expensive at about £55 for half a sheet. You should be able to buy full 2440 X 1220 X 18 mm sheets of marine ply for not much more than that from a trade supplier. Slainte.

*Edit* PS. You might also have a look at Accoya, which is acetylated wood, this being a process that confers durability on timber species that are not normally particularly durable a 50 year lifespan is claimed for Accoya not in direct contact with the ground, and about 25 years if it is in ground contact. Arnold Laver and Latham are suppliers - I don't know if either merchant is in your area, nor prices, nor even if dimensions available suit your design(s).

Latest posts

Back