Can you legally have a workshop/ run a business from home?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't wish to be pedantic but to carry on a business in a domestic property without obtaining change of use permission is definitely illegal. To use a domestic property for business without notifying the Rating Authority is definitely illegal.

Richard

thomvic":9fju91x4 said:
I don't wish to be pedantic but to carry on a business in a domestic property without obtaining change of use permission is definitely illegal. To use a domestic property for business without notifying the Rating Authority is definitely illegal.

Richard
I think you are being pedantic because what you say is certainly inaccurate with respect of small discrete operations carried on within normal domestic spaces. Millions of people work from home without any problems or special permissions. "Kitchen table" businesses etc.
But there is a border line where your operations will need planning permission, and/or be subject to business rates. A small woodwork business could be fine, slightly bigger and you need permissions. You are not going to be punished for going over the line but you could get into trouble if you ignored the planners &co asking you to apply. This may never happen.

its not illegal to make a living from your property. it is in fact illegal to stop you.

you may have to make absolutely sure you cause no nuisance. sound proofing is not prohibitavely expensive. THAT WOULD BE YOUR ONLY OBLIGATION, until of course you invite other people into your workspace.

the only problem i can see you having is the fact that if you have a mortgage, you will need the owners permission.

please remember, if you subject yourself and ask permission from a "ruling body" you give up your claim to your inalienable right.

provided you deal with any potential nuisance before it becomes a problem........no probs.

jeffinfrance":xjliulz6 said:
please remember, if you subject yourself and ask permission from a "ruling body" you give up your claim to your inalienable right.
What about the neighbours' inalienable right to live in a residetial environment and not on an industrial estate? Not that I'm saying this is what the OP intends...

A home office is fine, but from many years of chairing our Parish Council Planning Committee I'm sure that converting your garage or outbuilding into a commercial workshop needs planning permission for change of use, which I think is unlikely to be granted in most residential situations.

I'm no expert, but the practical issues that seem to surface over here are (1) invalidation of insurance unless you have commercial cover, (2) planning permission for use/maybe even for the building if there's hassle and it's brought to somebody's attention, (3) possible triggering of a requirement to pay rates if it comes to the wrong attention, and is seen in the wrong light and (4) noise/nusiance.

In the case of the latter don't forget about smell in the event that you want to go spraying. It depends a bit on what your prevailing wind direction is, but actually that could be a very hard one to get over.

There's quite strict regulations in this regard in the UK from the bits I've read - from environmental, fire and planning points of view. Use of solvents may bother the insurance company too.

There's quite a lot comes up on the UK situation from the HSE (?) and other sources if you search under spray booths and permissions...

Latest posts

Back