Can a spindle moulder be used as a drum sander?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlow52

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a schappach tf 3000 spindle moulder: 30mm dia shaft and 100mm vertical travel, 3 speeds: (3,6,9)000 rpm, reversible.

I know it wont 'bob' or tilt but wonder is the notion a runner

Thanks

They may or may not fit other machines, but Felder do a set of 45, 60 and 80mm dia x 110 high sanding drums with a mounting hole of 30mm dia to go on their spindles. The order no. is 09.0.027 - you could check them out on the Felder UK web shop.

I've not used them, but imagine it'd be worth checking even if they fit that the available speeds would suit. I've a feeling that drum sanders usually run at about 1,500rpm, and my Hammer F3 spindle moulder's lowest speed setting is 3,000rpm. I'm not sure how big a deal this extra speed might be, or how much of an issue not having the vertical oscillation of a proper bobbin sander might be.

Felder also do a (rubber?) stick for cleaning sanders (for removing embedded dust from the sandpaper), order no. 10.0.100.

Another option for drum/bobbin sanding is Carroll type bobbins mounted in a pillar drill - i have a set, and they are nicely made. They have a stub shaft that mounts in the chuck. Axminster do them i think, they could be quite a lot cheaper too...

PS added later - just remembered that Carroll also do a 30mm bore sanding drum to suit a spindle. Much cheaper than the Felder items, no idea if this means anything in practical terms. http://www.clickspeed.co.uk/cgi-bin/eGr ... %20Sanders

That looks identical (?) to the Felder units Tom. Quite a lot more expensive than the Carroll too, maybe there is good reason for it....

ondablade":1dmdc69j said:
That looks identical (?) to the Felder units Tom. Quite a lot more expensive than the Carroll too, maybe there is good reason for it....

It was more of an impulse buy as i was desprate for a bobbin but never had access to one. With wealdens next day delivery i ordered it.
I didn't even look at any others.

Carlow52":ktxr47lt said:
I have a schappach tf 3000 spindle moulder: 30mm dia shaft and 100mm vertical travel, 3 speeds: (3,6,9)000 rpm, reversible.

I know it wont 'bob' or tilt but wonder is the notion a runner

Thanks
Yes you can. Tip, set on lowest speed.

Good evening,
The spindle moulder shaft has the ability to accommodate an after-market sanding drum as well as a shop-made one but the real issue is about its diameter related to the lowest speed of the spindle moulder. Sanding belt manufacturers typically give their product to run about 600 meters per minute which means about 64 mm in diameter for the drum at 3000 rpm. However you can sand with a wider diameter but heat-sensitive hard wood like mahogany or cherry will probably quickly burn. Founded on my own experiment i'd rather sand with rough grits running about 450 m/m and finer not over 600 m/m.
Best Regards

Safety is the issue, yes it can be done but I like my arms, a bobbin sander is completely different to a spindle moulder with a sanding drum attached.

To ask a genuine question guys given that the posts have been a bit cryptic. Why should a sanding drum on a spindle be such a risk - it's something i'd like to know more about in case there's something i'm missing.

I've never used one (only Carroll drums in a pedestal drill), but when you see reputable companies like Felder offering them they surely can't be that dodgy?

There has to be a risk - in that a sanding drum can presumably snag something like the sleeve of a woolly jumper. On the other hand there's lots of pieces of equipment in that category.

Meanwhile even a dedicated bobbin sander running at around 1,500rpm (and the lower rpm means higher torque for a given HP) may have up to at least 1.5 HP - more than enough to catch your interest if you got caught.

Good morning,
I can't leave Ondablade alone and agree with his point of view. As you may see in the below photo the manufacturer engraved 'nmax 3000' which match the 3000 rmp of the Carlow52's spindle moulder. Therefore there is no safety issue from this point.

untitled_1-20e3387.jpg

But that doesn't necessary mean there is no safety issue of course. Make you own experiment and you will probably find out that dust extraction can't be avoided and speed really matters too as previously written. And if one of these days your fingers are too much close from a 40 grit sanding sleeve, as I knew some time ago, you will certainly feel your finger tip and nail burning for some times.
Best Regards

Latest posts

Back