Buying in UK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a Laser (B&W) for everyday use and my Epson R2400 inkjet for special colour prints ( 9 cartridges at £13 each). Found it cheaper to use Photobox Albums when on special offer.
To keep the heads clean I just switch the Epson on every now and then and it goes through a head cleaning cycle - must waste some ink but at least they don't get blocked up?

Rod

Rod a think a daily time set to come on at 2am for 30 mins might be a good by for me. Good suggestion about switching it on to go through its cycle.

What's happened to this thread ?????? started off as buying from abroad but has been all about ink jets and printers since…:~(

Giff":q3nad287 said:
What's happened to this thread ?????? started off as buying from abroad but has been all about ink jets and printers since…:~(
-you mean to say there's other stuff out there?

**disbelief**

:)

Well,getting back to the original thread one large parcel on its way from the states just have to wait and see how much I get stung for duty now.

orchard":5equ8az3 said:
For those that want to avoid the suspense this might help:
That suggests 3.7% for hand tools. However it could depend on how any items are described and interpreted by HMRC on import.
Then you'll need to add 20% VAT. The final variable is any handling charge the carrier may impose to collect duty & VAT.

The equation is roughly;
((((Price of item)+duty+shipping)*1.2vat)/exchange rate)+handling charge in UKP = probably less saving than you hoped

Rhossydd":29vfqrrh said:
orchard":29vfqrrh said:
For those that want to avoid the suspense this might help:
That suggests 3.7% for hand tools. However it could depend on how any items are described and interpreted by HMRC on import.
Then you'll need to add 20% VAT. The final variable is any handling charge the carrier may impose to collect duty & VAT.

The equation is roughly;
((((Price of item)+duty+shipping)*1.2vat)/exchange rate)+handling charge in UKP = probably less saving than you hoped

Thanks, I just thought i'd put it up there because the duty element is usually the one that throws people.

Although most of the time i've imported unique items, I have also imported some that are also available in the UK from local merchants, and costed others that manufacturer's have given traders over here exclusive distributorships, hence my earlier comments :)

orchard":3mrdpoiz said:
the duty element is usually the one that throws people.
3.7% really isn't much to worry about. The shipper's handling charge can be the horrible surprise that's hard to find out in advance. Being prepared for the worst possible outcome is best practice.

My parcel from USA arrived today the 2 items I was going to buy in UK Incra mitre express and Incra 1000hd mitre gauge UK price £333 USA price including postage ,vat, handling charge(no duty) £281 I would say that was a good result I also had over three hundred dollars worth of other odds and ends as well so that mitigated the postage.

I recently bought a Metabo KGS 216 plus on ebay for the good price of £103 (so I thought ). On getting the beast home I realised that there was a load missing. I have a Metabo bandsaw and have paid heavily in the past for parts and have waited on average about 3-4 weeks to arrive from Miles. Checked in with Miles Machinery for the spares..wow what a cost,. For example 'table insert - plastic' £ 39.60, extension tables etc £ 65 each. I worked out the costs and they came out at £ 300 ish excl shipping.
There is a German seller on the web Dittmar ( http://www.dittmar-werkzeuge.de ) who also sells the same Metabo parts. Euro 150 plus Eu 18 shipping. ( 168 euro = £ 135 ) Their web page is automatically translated to English. I placed the order and 5 days later all the parts arrive via UPS.That is a huge saving ( £ 165 ) and I would recommend the company to all. They are geared up for all EU shipments and a pleasure to deal with. Just enter the part number and hey presto.

Pays to shop in EU it would appear

Back