Butt chisels.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheshirechappie":30eqnr6n said:
Butt chisels - I was idly browsing the Classic Hand Tools website (as you do), and came across the Ashley Iles offering of these - https://www.classichandtools.com/acatal ... isels.html (scroll down the page a bit, they're just under the bench chisels)- which according to their write-up are used by being pushed rather than struck. Seemed a bit odd - after all, a normal length bench chisel can be pushed perfectly well if you want to.

I know butt chisels are popular in North America, but not so much in the UK (or elsewhere, so far as I know). I can see the value of a chisel that can get into smaller spaces (though not that much smaller than a standard length bench chisel), but beyond that, what's the advantage? Just the way craftsman's preferences have developed in different countries, or is there more to it?

(Edited to clarify where the butt chisels are on the link.)

They are an advantage when used in an upright configuration. Try one. Long chisels can be an advantage when used in the horizontal position but even then not in every case.

One doesn't need 11" worth of chisel to chop dovetails, for instance. A shorter chisel is much easier to control and reposition. Mis-hits with the mallet are punished less severely as well -- less of a lever.

Back