Burnisher

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldhead

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good quality cabinet burnisher?, I've heard of people using screwdrivers and I've also heard of scrapers actually cutting a grove in the burnishing tool, I like to buy once provided it's not going to break the bank!

Stew

I use whichever screwdriver is nearest, even pretty basic steel screwdrivers seem to hold up fine.

Having said that, if I were to buy one I would get the Clifton, I have one of their awls (same construction) and it's a truly lovely thing.

I have a small tungsten carbide rod 100mm length x 6mm diameter. It seems to work well, and I haven't managed to make a scratch in it yet.

It doesn't take up much space in my toolbox either.

I think it depends a bit on the scrapers you use. The normal 'traditional' scraper made from saw-steel or similar will be fine with a screwdriver, gouge back, HSS drill or whatever, but the fancy modern super-hard steel scrapers will need something like the Workshop Heaven carbide burnisher.

For what it's worth, mine's an oldish Roberts and Lee (from when they were independent), made of something polished and hard (I don't know what exactly, apart for steel of some grade or other). It works fine - but I don't have any 'super-hard' scrapers. The modern Clifton, or Flinn's Pax or Lynx will be just as good.

+1 for the Workshop Heaven Arnu burnisher.
I have tried a variety of burnishers and even have the Veritas fancy one (bargain bin not the full price) but the Arnu is brilliant. Have a look at Matthews video on YouTube as he demonstrates one.

Baldhead":udw88ceh said:
Can anyone recommend a good quality cabinet burnisher?, I've heard of people using screwdrivers and I've also heard of scrapers actually cutting a grove in the burnishing tool, I like to buy once provided it's not going to break the bank!

Stew
Lots of good info, on burnishers and scraper sharpening more generally, here.

sharpening-a-scraper-t70504-15.html

BugBear

bugbear":245tc0vn said:
Baldhead":245tc0vn said:

Stew
Lots of good info, on burnishers and scraper sharpening more generally, here.

sharpening-a-scraper-t70504-15.html

BugBear
An interesting read. I used to be a diesel fitter on coaches, the number of exhaust valves I have binned is unbelievable, if only I'd known then!
Thanks BB

Stew

If you want to make up a homemade tool for this an excellent starting point is a solid carbide burr. These are available very inexpensively in sets directly from China, often a set of 6-10 will cost less than a single burr sold retail over here.

Traditionally, assuming the workshop didn't have a ticketer, one common method was to use the back of a gouge since this should be significantly harder than the edge of any scraper.

ED65":1iukwb5v said:
If you want to make up a homemade tool for this an excellent starting point is a solid carbide burr. These are available very inexpensively in sets directly from China, often a set of 6-10 will cost less than a single burr sold retail over here.

Traditionally, assuming the workshop didn't have a ticketer, one common method was to use the back of a gouge since this should be significantly harder than the edge of any scraper.

Unless it's a laminated out-cannel... :D

BugBear

Hello,

I have a Pax one, but find it does get scored on hard scrapers such as Veritas ones. It is fine for the usual saw plate card scrapers and gooseneck etc.

Someone gave me an Axminster gift card for a thank you for a job I did, and decided to 'waste' it on a Lie Nielsen scraper burnisher. It is a pleasure to behold and with burnish the hinges of hell without sustaining injury. Not a vital purchase, but not a terrible amount to spend in the scheme of things for a beautiful tool. Likely the only LN tool I'll ever own, so nice to have this.

Mike.

Latest posts

Back