Build a website....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikNak

Established Member
Reaction score
As the title says..... i'm looking to maybe build a website for our local Horticultural Club. Nothing fancy, nothing flash, just something people can see what goes on and whats happening from month to month.

I'm fairly proficient then it comes to 'technical' stuff, and have oodles of patience....

Whats the best way to go about it..? go to night school..? use one of the 'free' website builders available..?

Any help or suggestions gratefully accepted :)

Nick

Find a hosting provider that gives you WordPress and it's about as difficult as operating MS Word - unless you want it to be more technical.

"It's what all the kids are using" - probably.

Wordpress ++

It's what I've used for websites for the last don't know how long, both personally and professionally.

You can get a site via wordpress.com, then you pay about £10 a year to hook a domain up to that. Just ignore all the stuff about it being a blog, it's really not been just blogging software for a very long time.

Yep, WordPress is your best bet. Or my company could build you a solution using Adobe cloud for a couple of million?

Probably best to stick to WordPress! ;)

We just used Yola. It was free but now cost something like £15 per year but get most of our work through it. For the price it's brilliant, appears high in google searches and took a morning to have the site live. The web domain was separate but again very cheap. I have almost no computery skills so decided to skip the Wordpress option.

http://www.wix.com is great for its simple drag and drop type design approach. It's free for a website with ads but will cost monthly to remove ads and link a custom domain.

I have used it a few times and you can get some really pro looking stuff when you play about with it enough. At the least you can 'try before you buy'.

As others have mentioned I have used The Wordpress route as well, pretty simple if you find a template you like and have a play about.

the cheapest hosting I could find at the time was: https://www.tsohost.com/ and I use http://www.123-reg.co.uk for domain names.

I would stick with wordpress only, especially to start with, don't bother with wix. You need a host though, try zen internet, they are superb and helped me set up my website with their excellent customer support.

FWIW and just to provide some balance, I find wordpress baffling - probably because it's like operating MS Word, lol! Nothing there makes sense to me - I tried using it as a blogging platform and it was horrible. Clearly other people use it without issue, so it must just be be me...

And if you're like me, try Weebly.com. You can set up a free site without ads, just a discrete 'powered by weebly' banner along the bottom. You can't link a domain directly to a free site there, but whoever you get your domains from (I also use 123-reg) you can simply forward it to the weebly url.

I threw together a very quick site for my daughter when she graduated and started freelancing, and she was able to easily change the theme to suit her, without mucking about with the content. Thoroughly recommended for a simple site.

HTH Peter

Nick

Everyone is assuming that you are on a PC. If you are on a Mac then there are other programs. I use iWeb (admittedly and older version) and it's easy to use.

Doesn't Wordpress have a reputation for hacking vulnerabilities ?

RogerS":2rqhi7bb said:
Nick

Everyone is assuming that you are on a PC....
How so? Everything suggested so far (Wordpress, wix, yola and weebly) has been an online site-builder CMS.

RogerS":2rqhi7bb said:
If you are on a Mac then there are other programs. I use iWeb (admittedly and older version) and it's easy to use.

Doesn't Wordpress have a reputation for hacking vulnerabilities ?
FWIW iWeb was discontinued years ago (2011) so I wouldn't start using it now, even if you have a copy. I quite liked it when it was first out, but I had real compatibility issues between browsers and platforms - exactly what you don't need in a website. Wix, weebly, squarespace etc... are just as easy to use IMHO.

Pete

RogerS":1g8pvxbp said:
Thanks for the clarification, Pete...I'm out of touch, definitely !

Any thoughts on Wordpress vulnerabilities ?
As long as it's the latest version being used you're fine. It's only people who use older versions and don't patch security issues who have problems.

And WordPress is a Web application, so works on Mac and pc :)

Back