Buffing Danish Oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rewound

Established Member
Reaction score
Would you just use a dry cotton wheel, or would you try and add a wax?

Only you know what kind of finish you want. 2 or 3 coats of danish oil, left to dry then buffed, gives a nice warm satin finish, perfect for many things and easy to re coat in future. Add wax and it will shine more but may not stand up to frequent handling as well as just using oil. Neither is right nor wrong, its a personal choice. But, as above, let the layers of whatever properly dry and harden before you add the next or you can get a soft sludgy mess.

A recent display only hollowed vessel is waxed and shiny, but my nuts are offered around in a buffed Danish oiled bowl.

I had not taken our different seasons into account but even here in winter I find D O takes too long to dry. Ok if your workshop is heated.
Regards
John

When I have used Danish oil I bring the piece into the house for at least a month until I can no longer smell the oil and then give it a coat of wax. Works for me

I have had good success using renaisance wax over Danish Oil. It has a higher melting point so doesn't dull like Bees wax. It is pricy but a little goes a very long way. It never gives a high shine but a nice soft sheen.

Back