Broken UPVC door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippy mark

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I have been given an upvc french door and frame, one of the doors has fallen over and broken the glass the door it self has a split in the corner where the weld is and going from the weld into the rebate for the glass, is it possible to re-weld the door or is a case of replacing the door?
Thanks

chippy mark":2n0rjves said:
Hi all
I have been given an upvc french door and frame, one of the doors has fallen over and broken the glass the door it self has a split in the corner where the weld is and going from the weld into the rebate for the glass, is it possible to re-weld the door or is a case of replacing the door?
Thanks

Personally - given how easy scrotes seem to be able to get thru a uPVC door - I'd bin it and fit a wooden one.

My 2c worth

Dibs

Could prolly be welded with a hot air plastic welder, cost wise tho this might only be worth doing if you can borrow one. Make sure you get the correct type of welding rod as well as you are supposed to use the correct one for the type of plastic - there are some 'universal' rods but i'm not sure on how effective they are.

I too hate pvc doors, I take great pleasure telling the salesmen that come knocking how easy there products are to break into.

Remember folks - if it relys on a euro cylinder its easy pickings.

You wont be able to weld it any heat applied to joint will just deform everything. UPVC is welded by pressing the joint faces against a hot weld plate covered in teflon the plate is then removed and the joint faces pressed together (all done by machine of course) If the joint has gone all the way along the weld bin the door If only part way bond the joint with super glue just to seal it and stop water ingress it wont strengthen it , but I doubt you would be able to push the surfaces together to achieve a good bond in any case.

No skills":1ioulb0b said:
Could prolly be welded with a hot air plastic welder, cost wise tho this might only be worth doing if you can borrow one. Make sure you get the correct type of welding rod as well as you are supposed to use the correct one for the type of plastic - there are some 'universal' rods but i'm not sure on how effective they are.

I too hate pvc doors, I take great pleasure telling the salesmen that come knocking how easy there products are to break into.

Remember folks - if it relys on a euro cylinder its easy pickings.

Alot of people think that when they fill their insurance form in and say they have 5 lever locks that their new security plastic door has one, because the sales guy has told them how secure it is.

When the truth is.

A few minutes and a bit of knowledge you average tea leaf will be off with your car full of you stuff.

Tom

Back