Bringing another oak door back to life :0)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldbrummie

Reaction score
I've stripped the paint from half a door so far & found this beautiful door hiding underneath...any thoughts for a nice finish on this door please

Oak_door_3.jpg

Attachments

• Oak_door_3.jpg
    Oak_door_3.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 649
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to recommend an Osmo product :) but I'd be inclined to oil first and then wipe on some varnish.

An alternative would be to mix approximately equal amounts of oil and varnish in a jar, then add some white spirit or turps and shake it up. This is homemade Danish oil. It's used just like the commercial stuff: you wipe it on then wipe away all the excess.

Much along the same lines as ED65, I suggest something like an oil based interior polyurethane varnish applied carefully with a brush: it is an interior door isn't it? There does seem to be some clear finish of some sort on the right hand portion already exposed, which is a little patchy, and I suspect a light sanding will remove the patchiness, perhaps using 150 or 180 grit paper. Oil based polyurethane varnish is tougher than the mixtures ED65 suggested, and a couple or three coats will leave a definite film, whereas his suggested options will give a thinner or lighter 'close to the wood look'.

Which finish you choose depends on things like appearance and resistance to abrasion and damage required. Slainte.

Latest posts

Back