Box for scroll saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keato

Established Member
Reaction score
I've searched everywhere and even took a trip to Ikea to see if they had any plastic boxes large enough.

Because I live in Scotland and my scroll saw is in my garage I wanted to find a box (plastic) that was big enough to fit my Excalibur EX-16 inside to seal it up from the elements.

Does know of any scroll saw containers available anywhere?

Its just odd that when the old sewing machines were sold that they came with a sort of box that had a clip lock.

I did buy a 130ltr plastic box from Ikea and that still doesn't fit it :?

PS I know during the winter i'll bring the Excalibur inside so its not out in the freezing weather, but during the summer/rainy weather I need to find a plastic box for it.

Hi

In my opinion you would be better making a cover for it out of MDF or ply. For real peace of mind put a 15W incandescant light bulb in near the bottom of the cover and a few small ventilation holes near the top - this will keep the condensation away all year, even in our climate.

Regards Mick

Failing that, have you thought about a simple plastic barbecue cover? you should be able to find something around the right size, the ones to cover a big bbq are £20.

i would try another material before the plastic too, it can cause condensation on its own, i put a couple of old towels over mine..

ah right, so maybe I should avoid plastic altogether?

I have a BBQ cover already and its GIANT lol. In fact I could probably fit the Excalibur inside it never mind just putting it over the top.

I guess I could figure out a way to construct a wood box for it. Possibly out of Plywood from B&Q

I just thought storing it inside a plastic box or putting the box part over it (no lid) just to keep it dry in case of any drips from the garage roof might be an easier solution.

I chuck old bed sheets over everything. The proper plastic cover for my lathe causes a monsoon under it. I balanced a piece of wood over my mill last winter to stop the condensation from the roof dripping on it and it still ended up wet through. The sheets are the only thing I have had success with. Low wattage bulbs would help but I hate leaving the power on when I am not in the garage.

Martin.

Back