Bowl of Contemplation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeetoids

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Made from Oak on Poplar Burr base, 140mmx70mm or 140mmx100mm including base.

Bowl sealed and sanded back then finished with Chestnut Mycrocrystaline Wax, base finished with boiled linseed oil:

Normal view:

DSC01597.jpg

Top down view:

DSC01598.jpg

Profile view:

DSC01599.jpg

Many thanks for looking,

Lee. :)

That's an attractive bowl, unusual angle on the rim. It's one of those you'd want to pick up, is it bonded to the base or resting?

Nice looking piece.I see a Sanger influence here I think? :lol: Only criticism is that I personally would like the bow thinner for this one though normally I do prefer the thicker bowls. Just that thinner seems to me more in line with the theme of the piece.

Pete

Tidy looking bowl and shows the grain nicely. You can see the celtic style in its simplicity of design and keeping things simple is often the best policy.

Lee

Fantastic form. You have made amazing strides with your turning. The form on this for me does not get any better.

The grain is great and you did right to leave it alone and to just keep it simple. As has been said often this is the best option. But as I have quoted before " with simplicity there is no where to hide". This can be seen in this piece with the perfect form.

I like it very much.

Superb finish by the way.

Take care

Mark

Great finish for oak Lee, and you achieved a balanced positioning of the grain structure which has such an influence on the piece as a whole.

The controlled curve of the inner bowl shows a remarkable advance in your turning skills in such a short time in the spinny world.

Hi,

Thanks for all the helpful comments folks.

I really appreciate the encouraging words.

The bowl is just resting on the base, couldn't ruin this bowl by sticking it down!

I have seen this rim a lot and it's no secret that I am a great admirer of Marks work. I have studied a lot of your pieces for ages and this one is directly inspired by most of your work. Thanks Mark.

I don't mean to be rude or dismissive of anyone else's work but I just like what Mark does, plain and simple. Clearly George F has gotten bit by Marks influence too, as I have by Georges.

Thanks also to everyone really, Bodrighy & Chaz in particular. Taking the time to always give good, constructive feedback has helped me immensely so a big thank you.

And I've mentioned this before, I seek inspiration for finish from Chaz. I have also looked at your worked for ages and your consistant, beautiful finishing is well worthy of copying.

Thanks also to the greater turning community here. Everyone has been very helpful, open, friendly, constructive, and knowledgable - miles better than WOW in my opinion for shear enthusiasm and friendship.

Aw the best,

Lee.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Lovely bowl Lee. :D
Great shape and nicely finished.Not keen on the plinth bit meself,the bowl is good enough to stand on it's own.I think :D

Paul.J":2q2mtzhd said:
Lovely bowl Lee. :D
Great shape and nicely finished.

Couldn't agree more, this is more my cup of tea than some of your other stuff, Lee, but as always that is just personal preference :lol:

When you had applied your microcrystalline wax, did you leave it for a few minutes and then buff (as it says on the tin), or is there some dark secret I am missing as your bowl seems to be far shinier than when I have had a play with the stuff.

Malc :lol:

Hi Malc,

I apply the wax and rub it in. You can tell when your rubbing it in that it 'dries' very quickly. As soon as I've finished rubbing it in I buff it by hand with a cloth, applying light pressure. I then finish the buffing with a finer cloth.

However, before this I apply sanding sealer and cut this back with 600 grit, I just let the paper rest on the piece really to get a very smoothe, uniform finish before applying the wax.

HTH?

Cheers,

Lee.

skeetoids":1oktp3hl said:
.....However, before this I apply sanding sealer and cut this back with 600 grit, I just let the paper rest on the piece really to get a very smoothe, uniform finish before applying the wax.

Malc, the casual " I just let---" by Lee belies the fact that he has obtained a very high standard of surface finish before he applied his sealer.

We of a lazier nature (me anyway) use a buffing wheel to do the cut back, but whichever method used the base finish needs to be as good as you can get and sealed well to form a hardened surface skin that can be brought to a reflective gloss level before you apply the wax finish if you wish to achieve the maximum gloss.

Also note the comment by Lee "I just let the paper rest ---" means that he is cutting the surface, removing the high points, not burnishing it with pressure which may just glaze any imperfections without necessarily leveling them.

Even if you require a satin finish to the piece ideally it needs to be finished to the gloss level first and then cut back to a uniform texture with Nyweb or a fine wire wool substitute, that way you get a consistent level of finish independent on wood grain imperfections.

Hope the above is not too much of a 'Granny suck eggs' for you but surface preparation is the key to any desired finish.

Hi Chaz,

You are correct and I also should have been less flipant in my response to Malc.

Your spot on with your comments, I first take the piece from 80 grit all the way up to 600 grit. Concentrating my best to get an even, smoothe finish.

In fact, by the time I get to 600 the piece already has a satin sheen. Then a thin application of sanding sealer to fill in the tiny imperfections in the surface.

And as you said Chaz, I let the 600 grit rest gently on the piece so as not to cut it back but gently abraise the sealer. Also, I finish at 1250RPM.

Then I apply the wax all over, rubbing it in gently and consistently. As soon as I've finished the wax coat I buff it straight away and then buff again with a finer cloth.

I agree with you though Chaz, you've got to get a good finish on the piece before you even seal it. The wax is really protecting what should already be a good finish.

I was just a bit lucky with this one I guess. My tool finish was already bang on and it just got better throuhgout the finishing process.

Cheers,

Lee.

I really like this bowl, Lee, for the simple lines and lovely grain, and envy your finish. Exactly the sort of thing that got me interested in the first place.

Al

Thanks Chaz and Lee for your informative replies :lol:

No grannies sucking eggs, or even realisation that a flippant reply was involved.

Malc :D

The Shark":3q3suzjy said:
Thanks Chaz and Lee for your informative replies :lol:

No grannies sucking eggs, or even realisation that a flippant reply was involved.

Malc :D
I certainly did not consider Lees reply as flippant, I actually thought he was being a little modest as getting the finish he achieved needed a lot of finesse.

Hi Folks,

I think it only right that those of you who have been turning far longer than I take a long and well deserved bow.

This is probably getting old now, but I've clearly been amongst some excellent and fine company when it comes to turning knowledge and skill.

I'm a pretty smart man and I have a huge capacity for learning, but, and it's a big BUT, without the right knowledge there is no doubt my turning would not be at it's current level without the unselfish, open and honest support of the members who frequent this forum.

We're all tempered with a huge wedge of humbleness but sometimes you gotta accept credit where credit is due. So, to all who have, are and will no doubt continue to help me in the future, I sincearly thank you.

Cheers,

Lee.
:)

I've made a comment on your other recent post with a stone in it and I think the same goes for this one. If you make an outside shape with quite a radical incurve then one makes a rod for ones own back because the viewer will expect the inside either to be very very different or that it will follow the outside curve. The photos dont show me either of those options have been followed here. It is not an easy option to undercut the rim as much as this one appears to have required. In that respect only, you may be a bit ahead of yourself, which is a trait everyone of us has followed when starting out.

Apart from that criticism I agree with the others: well done.

Back