Bowl of Beastly Beginnings - Partial WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeetoids

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

This is my next piece and the story so far:

Biggest monster I've turned so far but such an enjoyable experience.

Elm Burr, 260mmx130mm, finished the outside with Chestnut Wodwax 22. As you can see from the pix there is a large section of the piece that is basically wasted away. It was like this to start with but I'm figuring it will add some extra character.

PB-1.jpg

PB1-1.jpg

Comments welcome.

Lee. :)

Thanks Blister, it really is a nice piece isn't it?

I saw it at the Peebles Wood Show and kept coming back to it. In the end I had to snag it!

The bit that is essentially punky/rotten is on the surface and I reckon it only runs about 1/2" to 1" deep. I'll need to be careful when I do the inside but it's well worth it.

Btw, WHERE'S THE PIX OH THE TITAN!!!!

Enough of this gardening nosense, get them posted!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I could get my hands on the idiots who imported infected wood to our shores :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: But I guess they are no longer around to witness the havoc their stupidity wrought, at least with beautiful pieces like that on display there will be something for future folks to enjoy.

Lovely looking piece of wood you have there, treat it gently.
I hope you get more from it than I did from this one. Lee. :lol:

Pete

I've been thinking about a reply Lee and you have just prompted it with yours!

Not so much a pant filler as a pile remover me-thinks?? I think that the right hand photo looks like something laying there just waiting for the right moment to cause max mayhem? Looking up to the right and ready! Just as you thought it was safe to go back in there :shock: :shock:

In real life I'm willing to bet that it looks quite something special though! Correct Pete?

I was dead chuffed that there was anything left when I finished. You could see the 'wings' flexing as it went round. Hell of a job getting the foot off afterwards. You try reverse chucking something like that once and never again :lol: It is a privet root ball that someone gave me to play with as they put it.

Pete

Hi Folks,

Finally finished this piece.

Bit of a 'pant filler' at times, the rot ran a lot deeper than I expected and also ran right through the side quite a bit.

My only method of sanding is by hand so I tried to sand the inside but the cutout caised to many problems. AS a result I chose to texture the inside rather than abandoining the piece.

PB2.jpg

PB3.jpg

PB4.jpg

Lovely piece of Elm Lee :D
Pity about the rot and the inside of the bowl,looks like it's been turned inside out now :lol:
Not too keen on the finish for the inside of the bowl meself.
If you can try and get an electric drill,and suitable sanding attachment and pads for power sanding pieces like this,with the lathe off and just rotate by hand and sand.

Hi PJ,

Would have preferred to have sanded the inside but I dont have any sanding attachments for my drill yet!

I could always remount the piece and turn out the texturing if do get any pads.

Cheers,

Lee.

Back