Bluetooth tools whatever next!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau

Established Member
Reaction score
Had a flat tyre on the tractor yesterday. Went to have a chat with the chap next door who lives and breaths tractors. We got it all propped up to take off the offending wheel and he says I will be back in a min. I dug out the socket set and a large breaker bar to start removing the wheel nuts just as he returns clutching a brand new 3/4" Impact Wrench. Then he gets his phone out to adjust the tools setting! Not sure it was entirely necessary but it made getting the wheel off a doddle.

Had no idea this sort of tech was even in the pipeline https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwoeFjciam8

Usually when I am covered in grease and on my back under the car the last thing I want to touch is my phone :lol:

And in 20 years when todays mobile phones have become obsolete the way the floppy disk is today, we'll be scrapping a load of perfectly good tools made equally obsolete by the inclusion of inappropriate technology !

Just because you can doesn't mean that you should ...

Would not be any good in my workshop, as I have just had to ban mobile phones due to staff checking their texts etc instead of getting on with work, it is also a Health and Safety risk.

This is now becoming more common, in the work place.

You can get vapes (e-cigarettes) now with Bluetooth and voice control... because pressing one button to turn something on/up is sooooo much harder than simply getting your phone out, swiping to unlock, sweeping across pages, selecting the app, turning Bluetooth on, waiting for the devices to pair, selecting the device, going into the options, changing the settings, and then clicking accept, before putting your phone away and then using the original device...!!

I had an email from Nordic Semiconductors the other day, boasting that their Bluetooth tech was being used in a toilet/bidet combination(IIRC). There was a dedicated handheld remote, and an app for a smartphone, either of which could be used to start the arsewashing process.

John Brown":ji936crv said:
I had an email from Nordic Semiconductors the other day, boasting that their Bluetooth tech was being used in a toilet/bidet combination(IIRC). There was a dedicated handheld remote, and an app for a smartphone, either of which could be used to start the arsewashing process.

So you touch the phone with dirty hands and then put it to your face, sounds great.

I think they will need to invent a phone cleaner as an extra.

Utterly stupid. When your hands are right next to the switches, why would you want some spotty hacker taking over control? Or a child "accidentally" swapping the TV and bidet remotes? :)

My Bosch cordless drill is Bluetooth controlled there is a chip thing that you slide into a slot in the handle and you then connect to an app on your smart phone and you can make adjustments to speed etc. I haven't done it, don't see a need and the chip is still in the box. When they perfect it and the drill can work away while I have a cup of coffee I may show some interest!

tomatwark":2h6emvme said:
John Brown":2h6emvme said:

So you touch the phone with dirty hands and then put it to your face, sounds great.

I think they will need to invent a phone cleaner as an extra.

How do your hands get dirty in that process? Unless you've been trying to catch your chods?

Well when you get passed a certain age they send you theses stick things with which to catch your emissions and send samples through the post!

John Brown":3tv69tn7 said:
Stayed in a place abroad that had one of these once (not the bluetooth one). Looking round the bathroom I couldn't resist poking the buttons, then had to slam the lid down on it and run away while it flooded the bathroom. I couldn't read the labels and figure out which switch was off. It was like the Trevi fountain !!!

They should start putting trackers on tools, much more useful than Bluetooth with the amount that get stolen nowadays. Might also be handy with the amount of times I forget where I leave the blinking things too

Back