blood pressure monitors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

head clansman

Established Member
Reaction score
hi guys

Basically a question to the other numerous diabetic here on the forum which i know are many.

I use the accu check plus monitor for checking my blood sugar levels which stores the reading on the monitor then once a week I load them to the pc to chart them so I can work out my averages for the month which this month was 5.44 and has been now for many months.

Question. I now have agreed with my diabetic nurse to monitor for a period of time my blood pressure at various time throughout the day so hopefully I may be able to reduce the dosage of pills I take or maybe even come off of some of them or maybe even all them over a period of time depending on how things go :D , so was wondering do any of you know is there a blood pressure monitor that has the capability of storing more than one reading a day so I can then logg them to the pc and chart them as i do with my accu check sugar levels .

The reason behind all this is now at last I'm off the statins thank god :D :D every thing diet wise is now under control and back to normal and I'm losing weight like it's going out of fashion 36 ibs since early january and still going down , I've had loads of checks with camera etc & there no Mr nasty lurking about inside either which I am very happy about :D :D :D :D I am still losing weight and with less bulk to carry around all day it's affecting my blood pressure levels which is going quite low at time hence why i need to keep regular checks to see whats happening through out the day, so any help here would be most welcome please , thanks to any replies in advance . hc

Why consider the BP machine for that function. Just put up figures on a spread sheet each day, most probably less stress than looking at the readings as taken insitu on a machine readout.

Best of luck, I could do with that weight reduction. :roll:

hi

Devonwoody wrote

most probably less stress than looking at the readings as taken insitu on a machine readout.

sorry, i don't understand that ?

I am at the moment doing it on a spread sheet but that means i have to logg each separate reading as i do them , with a monitor that has the capability of remembering each one and also storing the reading into it's memory, then once a week i can then up load them straight onto the pc which will automatically chart them for me hopefully (if such a monitor exists that is ) like i can with the accu- chex software . hc

Interesting question. Firstly I'm not a medico and so any info is based on my own research/personal experience.

Not sure why she wants you to measure it at different times of the day. Usually if they want to do that then they ought to be able to loan you a 24 hour gizmo that you wear for a day. BP does have a diurnal rhythm..increasing slowly over the morning IIRC.

I am very borderline hypertension and with my Doctors' agreement have gone off my meds. She's asked me to simply take my BP once a week (varying the times and the day). If the majority of readings are over 165/90 then to go back onto the meds. Now one could argue if this level is a tadhigh given all the other research but the key thing is, is that she thinks it pointless to measure BP every day let alone several times in the day. I can guarantee that you will see widely fluctuating readings.

An arm monitor is much more reliable than a wrist version.

hi roger

yes i use an arm monitor as well , i had a major problem early last yr when she upped my statins to 80g a day by doubling the dosage which slowly over a period of time i had the worst case of diarrhoea i have ever known which went on for months 8 - 9 time a day was nothing blink and you miss it no second warnings it was that quick nothing but fluids .

After the many checks i went through at he hossi after the camera test in the colon and blood checks it was the surgens that took me off the statins , and since then i'm fine , but now have low blood pressure as the day wheres on so because of such a weight lose she is very over the top at time so whats all these checks done first before will agree to lowering my pills I'm already off on the antenolol & asprin which she is indicating she want me to start retaking them again , even after the doc say stop taking it :twisted: .

It was her idea to do these checks before she would agree to possible lowering my dosage , I dont like the fact that she not agreeing with the doc decision to take me off one pill already so my thinking is arm myself withfacts first if the low pressure still continuese i have somthing I can fire back them with, with it all logg in a memory there no disbelieving my readings . I know it's nice to know your being checked over in the right manner but at times she a pain in the a**e . hc

hi roger

Doesn't a Doctor outrank a nurse?

That's what i always thought, hopefully if i can fine a monitor that will do what i want it to, if not, even if i have to do it the old way on to a spreadsheet the ammo that it supplies then I will take no more arguments from her, if she tries , look out , she even want to test my blood pressure monitor against hers first before I start doing these tests :eek: . hc

It might be that you could get a receiver for one of the wireless monitors like the A and D UA-767 Plus BT. The unit is designed to send the BP numbers to the clinician but if you had the receiver, you could collect the data yourself. My guess is that the data goes right into a computer and there's probably some application to record it and perhaps plot the numbers on a graph.

As far as storing the numbers, even clinical physiological monitors clear stored data when they are shut off.

hi mike

that a giant step in the right direction , it does also say it can be plugged in a pc to print off a hard copy ,

Manufacturer's Description
As more importance is being placed on morning hypertension, Omron leads in the industry with the launch of the M10 IT. This fully automatic blood pressure monitor features special tracking memory for morning and evening measurements, as well as a large display for ease of reading. A user switch allows you to change from user A to B to enable readings to be saved for two individual users (up to 84 readings per person).

The M10 IT can also be connected to a PC to download readings to be sent via email or printed out for a hard copy.

Product Description
As more importance is being placed on morning hypertension, Omron leads in the industry with the launch of the M10-IT. This fully automatic blood pressure monitor features special tracking memory for morning and evening measurements
but no mention of any software to be able to chart the readings , think I'll investigate there website a wee bit more send an e mail to them see what happens , whilst I'm still looking , thank you. hc

Some of the equipment we have here in the hospital just sends out a TXT or CSV file. You can open them in a text editor or in a spreadsheet program.

The reason behind all this is now at last I'm off the statins thank god

Hi HC,

If you are a diabetic stopping your statin is a really bad idea. In fact of all your medications you are taking the statin is the only drug in large trials shown to reduce your risk of getting CHD.
BP reduction has shown no benefit for CVD reduction apart from reducing your risk of microvascular disease.

The NICE guidance is that all diabetics over the age of 40 should be on a statin unless of course your Total cholesterol is below 4mmol.

I would seriously suggest you go back and see your doctor or nurse and discuss the risks of stopping your statin.
They have been one of the major drug break throughs in the last 20 years.
Have a read up on the CARDS, HPS studies if you want further info.

Harry

Latest posts

Back