Blade Stiffener?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xerxys

Reaction score
I am sorry to post something so simple but nonetheless,

I was wondering if a Blade Dampener/Stiffener/Stabilizer has an alternative name that I am unaware of. The problem is I was hoping to purchase one and can't find one despite endless searching at either of my favorite suppliers (Axminster, Rutlands) and I was wondering if this could be because they have an alternate name I don't know.

If anyone doesn't know what a Blade Dampener/Stiffener/Stabilizer is then here is a brief description,

It is a round piece of metal usually attached to the outside of the blade in a tablesaw to improve the accuracy by reducing any flex in the blade.

I know forrest make them, but I can't find a decent supplier.

Thank you for any help.

The first one is exactly the right thing, the second however I have heard to make very little diference. Those were off the American amazon site though, and I live in the UK

Hi Xerxys and welcome to the forum. :)

Am I right to assume you're having problems with your table saw blade 'wobbling'? If so, you can make a pair of blade stiffeners quite easily from a scrap of hardwood (close-grained is best).

I used to own a cheap table saw and had the same problem. I cut a 3mm strip on the bandsaw, drilled a hole in the centre for the arbour and roughed out a round shape for the outside. The arbour on my saw was only long enough to take one blade stiffener but, one was enough to have my blade running true again! :wink:

It might be worth measuring how much spare length you have on your arbour so you can make yours as thick as possible. Don't know which saw you have but, you may also find that, because of the size of the opening in the table, you wouldn't be able to fit one 'behind' the blade as it would move the position of the blade.

You also need to check the overall radius/diameter so that it won't foul the timber when the blade is fully raised. If I remember correctly, mine was just shy of 3" round on a 10" blade.

Sadly, I don't have any photos of this any more. But, it's definitely worth a shot! I'm not aware of anywhere in the UK that sells these. Best of luck! :)

Thank you very, very much for you advice, I will definitely try that (and probably should of thought of it myself)

I am however still open to anybody who might think of retailer, as I would imagine a piece of steel might help a touch more.

Xerxys":3q0koswc said:
Thank you very, very much for you advice, I will definitely try that (and probably should of thought of it myself)

I am however still open to anybody who might think of retailer, as I would imagine a piece of steel might help a touch more.

Did you try Woodcraft?? www.woodcraft.com

Can I ask what saw blades you are using as a stiffener won't have much worthwhile effect on a cheap blade or too many/less teeth for the job. And if its an old saw check the bearings are OK.

I've not seen them for sale in the UK probably due to out shorter arbours and them being 30mm not the usual 5/8 US size. Also ensure the added momentum does not overheat your braking system and that the saw can still stop withing 10secs if being used commercially.

Jason

Xerxys

I suspect your problem is not one of blade flex as even the 1.2mm kerf blades (of decent quality) were found not to flex on cross cuts in recent tests.

Any decent modern blade should cut very well. If your cuts need tidying up, simply use a shooting board and plane - I never use wood straight from the saw despite it being a good saw with an excellent bladets

Tony":4s6lvd8x said:
Xerxys

I suspect your problem is not one of blade flex as even the 1.2mm kerf blades (of decent quality) were found not to flex on cross cuts in recent tests.

Any decent modern blade should cut very well. If your cuts need tidying up, simply use a shooting board and plane - I never use wood straight from the saw despite it being a good saw with an excellent bladets

Sounds like you might have read the same magazine I did.

The question I have, "What about your riving knife?" I'm not removing mine, it's too much trouble, so I don't think I will be buying thin or thick blades for my saw.

Back